We are looking for a new Data Analyst (Learning Analytics) to support the development of learning analytics at the college across a variety of exciting projects. You will spend the first year focusing on descriptive analytics: developing a deep understanding of our extensive and varied datasets; supporting data cleansing, validation and transformation processes; building data models and crafting visualisations and dashboards in close collaboration with our academic partners.
Throughout this time, you will build up research and data science skills so that in the second year you can focus on building predictive models that facilitate tailored learning experiences, working closely with prominent researchers in this field. Building partnerships with data analysts / scientists, researchers, data engineers and data users across the College will be crucial for success in this role.
Duties and responsibilities
Data wrangling & management
- Data exploration to develop a strong comprehension of our data assets and how they relate to real world behaviours / features
- Development of robust ETL processes including validation and cleansing
- Manage data efficiently: generating data extracts, coordinating access to the data and providing data-related support to colleagues whilst abiding by data policies and legislation
- ntegration of new/existing relevant data from College-wide sources
- Design and define metrics and key performance indicators
- Develop dashboards to interpret results and provide data insights
- Build data catalogues, business data definitions, metrics, dimensions and models
- Data modelling and prediction
- Utilising novel datasets to develop predictive models with machine learning tools
- Take ownership for coordinating assets and effective decision making in support of research
Data security, training & ways of working
- Engage with team members to ensure they are aware of best practices and risk implications related to data processing, management, and ethics.
- Help deliver training on data tools and dashboards to partner teams
- Work as part of a delivery team using agile methodology
- Degree or equivalent in a science / numerical subject
- Working as a data analyst / scientist or research analyst in a professional setting
- Generating practical insights from data that have led to organisational change
- Stakeholder management / user advocacy
- Data management: working with others to build data infrastructures, pipelines, warehousing etc
- Developing scripts for data processing / analytics
- Using business intelligence
- Manipulating a range of data types (e.g. CSV, JSON, XML / structured and unstructured)
- Programming language for data science (e.g Python, SQL, R)
- Data visualisation software (e.g. PowerBI, Tableau)
- Data security principles
- Demonstrable ability to analyse large / complex datasets
- Outstanding analytical skills with a structured and methodical approach
- Team player, able to work multi-functionally to achieve a common organisational goal, understanding the needs, objectives and constraints of stakeholders in other disciplines and functions
- Ability to perform proof of concept or prototyping exercises to demonstrate or evaluate the feasibility and potential benefits of applying a particular technology to a business problem
Full details of the role can be found in the Job Description.
This is a full time and fixed term role for 24 months, and you will be based in the South Kensington Campus.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Irene Kalkanis firstname.lastname@example.org
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.