About The Role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist with industry experience to join our rapidly growing practice, where you will model sophisticated business problems and deploy data products at scale.
You will have the opportunity to work across multiple areas of our business including physical stores, online, pricing, supply chain, marketing and Clubcard, giving you the opportunity to gain expertise in different subjects. Initially it is likely that you will get to work on our Online, search & personalisation, programme, an exciting opportunity to work on a high profile and strategic programme for Tesco.
We also encourage our data scientists to play active roles in the data science community giving you the opportunity to attend events, speak at conferences and universities, mentor others and being involved in our diversity & inclusion committee. There are also plenty of opportunities to learn new things and your Friday afternoons will be dedicated to self-learning and personal development.
Furthermore, we have an excellent work-life balance, team days and a fun but engaging culture.
Our team works across our London Farringdon and Welwyn Garden City office so you can choose which office you would like to be based out of, depending on your home location.You will be responsible for
This is a hands-on position where you will need to demonstrate your analytical approach to find solutions to sophisticated problems. You will need to understand difficult business problems and prototype solutions with minimal support. Apply, modify and design algorithms and mathematical models to tackle business problems on top of big data architectures (Hadoop, Spark) is a core component of the role. Our data scientists need to be able to validate, document and present the modeling process and performances, as well as communicate sophisticated solutions in a clear, understandable way to non-experts. Data Scientists are also responsible for promoting data science across Tesco and promote Tesco across the external Data Science community.You will need
What’s In It For You
- We are looking for ambitious individuals with a mix of statistics, programming (ideally Python) and machine learning skills.
- Extensive background in machine learning and data mining.
- A track record in modifying and designing advanced algorithms and applying them to large data sets is essential.
- A scientific mentality with the ability to ask the right questions, as well as answer them.
- A strong numerical higher degree in a mathematical, scientific, engineering or computer science field is preferable, as well as a proven understanding of mathematics and statistical principles.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields is required: predictive modelling, operational research, deep learning and time series modelling.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.