This is a fantastic opportunity to join the Data and Insight Team reporting to the Assistant Director for Insight and Evaluation. You will be the most senior data scientist in this team, so will innovate with new methodologies. You will help make NIHR a sector leader at using data science to inform research funding and evidencing and communicating the impact of our investment in health and social care research.
You will be pivotal in helping the NIHR to generate evidence. You will be an expert within the organisation, helping to set the agenda for effective use of data science within our processes. The ideal candidate would have experience in health and research funding or a strong track record in applying data science more broadly and an eagerness to learn about this sector.
- Contribute to maintenance and improvement of organisational data infrastructure
- Use natural language processing models to solve business challenges for NIHR. Examples might include:
- Classification of grant abstracts into different disease areas or research themes
- Automated monitoring of news or research papers for emerging topics of importance to NIHR
- Probabilistic fuzzy matching of grant applications and publications based on authors and semantic similarity
- Named entity recognition for stakeholder organisations in free-text
- Use other methods from data analysis and data science to solve business problems
- Raise the understanding and promote the value of data science approaches across NIHR
- Communicate results to technical and non-technical stakeholders of varying levels of seniority across NIHR and externally
- Reach out across the organisation to understand need for data science to support organisational objectives
- Manage more junior data scientists and analysts on projects
- Manage own learning and development and supports learning and development of more junior data scientists and data analysts
- Advise leadership on developments in Deep Learning / Artificial Intelligence and their implications for the business
- Manage collaborations on data science projects with external organisations
- Link up with wider Digital Strategy where appropriate
A detailed list of the required skills can be found in the full job description (see link below).How To Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early application is strongly encouraged to avoid disappointment.
Interested in learning more about this exciting position with the NIHR the UK's largest and most prestigious funder of research, please submit your CV along with a covering to email@example.com
NB: The submission of a cover letter is essential for your application to be considered.Please See The Full Job Description And Apply.
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves. As such, we are happy to consider requests for part time/flexible working and welcome applications from all areas of our community.