Let’s face it, the best jobs boil down to a handful of things — getting the chance to work with amazing people in a great culture with leaders who have your back while pursuing a vision that you can get passionate about.
Our team consists of NASA award-winning developers, Earth observation scientists, big data specialists, and unicorn Startup veterans from places like Facebook, IBM, and Berkeley and who come from five of the seven continents. Our leadership team includes the Chair of Canada’s first Space Accelerator for start-ups, an Earth observation veteran who has led multiple companies through IPOs, a planetary robotics graduate from the International Space University, and a petabyte-scale data leader with patents in location AI and contextual analytics. We are TechStars ‘16 NYC and Google for Entrepreneurs alumni. We have a unique blend of space/satellite authorities and consumer application veterans. And we are just getting started!
Culture is the personality of a company. At SkyWatch, our culture is incredibly important to us, and we practice it every day. As a company, we value innovation, dependability, and accessibility. In our product, we value simplicity, affordability, and informability.
In engineering, we specifically value our team’s happiness over unrealistic product planning (People First), flexibility over a rigorous top-down process (Freedom & Autonomy), and improving our overall system over dwelling on unintended mistakes or bugs (Just Culture).
Our mission and values are on the walls of our office. We don’t just talk the talk; we walk the walk.
Every day, hundreds of trillions of pixels of our planet are captured from space. With new applications for this data such as precision farming, construction planning, disaster relief operations, and retail revenue prediction (to name a few), the demand for satellite imagery is growing. However, the current process for obtaining satellite imagery is very time-consuming and tedious.
While the number of sensors observing our planet is growing exponentially, we are seeing each of these instruments creating their own unique dataset. Getting access to many of these catalogs is expensive and time-consuming. And once access is achieved, is it difficult to integrate data from multiple sources into one system. And we all know the most impactful analytics happen when large volumes of data are normalized and can be easily incorporated into powerful models.
Using our team's experience in building NASA-award-winning software, we are building the SkyWatch API, a simple way to discover and access the world’s remote sensing data. We are making it easy for organizations and developers to monitor the progress of crops, predict the markets, track ships and airplanes, measure global warming, or create other game-changing applications. We do the data work behind the scenes so developers are free to build the apps that change the world. Sound exciting? You’re right — it is.
About the role and where do you fit? Great question.
About the Role:
After securing their $10M CAD Series-A round in December 2019, and a $21M CAD Series-B in June of 2021, SkyWatch is on the pathway to scale. Reporting to our Head of Analytics, you will be responsible for building upon the foundation set up by our awesome Data Engineering team. As a Data Scientist at SkyWatch, you will use state-of-the-art analytic and predictive methods to help us turn data into business insights. You will work with stakeholders in product, engineering, revenue and our leadership team to measure business performance, provide deep analyses, and predict future trends.
- You have energy, experience and a passion for big data and the process of scaling.
- You love working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
- You are an exceptional communicator with the ability to translate technical concepts into easy-to-understand language for our stakeholders.
- You have an excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals.
- You have a solid understanding of data science tools and libraries (Python, SQL, Pandas, NumPy, Spark)
- You have experience with applied statistical methods, modelling and machine learning (regression, clustering, survival analysis, decision trees, neural networks, etc.)
- You have strong software development fundamentals and are comfortable developing and scaling ELT pipelines
- You understand AB Testing and the statistics which underpin the process
- You have experience creating success criteria and metrics for products with an emphasis on measuring what's important
- You are able to clearly communicate business insights by turning raw data into actionable recommendations
SkyWatch is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in our hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.