Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and data science & engineering plays a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.Job Description
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Our Data Scientists focus on pushing products and the business forward, with a focus on solving important problems rather than specific tools. We are looking for talented data scientists to help us better understand our merchants and buyers so we can help them on their journey.
The One Shopify and Executive Insights Team is responsible for three areas:Strategic Analysis & Projects:
Performance Measurement & Operational Support:
- Engaging in strategic projects and data investigations / deep dives to inform team strategies and investment plans (e.g., merchant segmentation & opportunity sizing; growth opportunities; roadmapping).
- Setting north star metrics, KPIs and targets for the team.
- Building self-serve dashboards to support ongoing partner performance measurement for use both internally and externally.
- Conducting deep dive performance analyses on pilots, product launches & GTM initiatives.
- Supporting and engaging in Monthly and Quarterly Business Reviews, sharing data insights and performance.
- Surfacing executive-level insights to inform executive briefs, investor relations & external facing reports.
- In coordination with Partnerships & BizOps, building strong data narratives for executives that accurately reflect performance for our partners.
- Strong analytical skills and interest/experience in creating analytical reports and self-serving dashboards
- Experience setting north-star metrics and KPIs & contributing data insights to strategic analysis
- 3+ years of experience as a Data scientist. Domain experience in e-commerce, marketing or SaaS would be a plus.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Information Technology, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent is preferred
- Extensive experience with Python or Pyspark and software engineering fundamentals
- Deep understanding of advanced SQL techniques, dimensional modeling and scaling ETL pipelines
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modeling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed)
- Strong sense of ownership and growth mindset; self-motivated and able to thrive in a remote environment
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community
to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineeringOur belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.