This position is responsible for assisting the continued expansion, adoption, and usage of Tyler Junior College’s business intelligence and reporting platforms for deeper problem, opportunity, trend, and predictive analysis by TJC’s academic and administrative departments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES
- Manage and maintain existing data analytics platform, process jobs, and reporting inventory.
- Create and maintain reports to provide day to day data analytics and reporting solutions.
- Represent Office of Technology Services (OTS) as a subject matter expert for TJC’s data environment by understanding all data layer facets TJC’s applications software portfolio, how it is used by the business, and their interrelationships and dependencies.
- Partner with TJC stakeholders and technology colleagues to understand business solution requirements and integrate those requirements into tangible business intelligence solutions.
- Develop business intelligence data management methodology, standards, and best practices for managing the platform (data models, extraction, transformation, load, development, test and acceptance, release to production, and documentation).
- Responsible for continued life-cycle development of the platform inclusive of but not limited to:
- Functional Requirements
- Source-to-target Mapping
- Extraction, Transformation, & Load
- Test, Acceptance, Release to Production
- Champion the continued expansion, adoption, and usage of the company’s data analytics and reporting platform for two- and three- dimensional ad-hoc data analysis, ad-hoc reporting, and recurring production reporting.
- Adhere to established change management practices and protocols when implementing software solutions into production.
- Assist in developing training material and training internal customers on the use of deployed applications and reports.
- Perform other duties, special projects as assigned.
- Well-organized and self-starting individual with a passion for transferring hard to access data into easily accessible and meaningful information for improved decision making.
- Detailed knowledge of two and multi dimension data modeling.
- Working knowledge of ETL.
- Report writing experience.
- The ability to balance competing priorities against optimal benefit to the organization.
- An ability to work well and productively, always projecting a positive outlook in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability to establish and achieve service levels.
- Ability to lead peers and internal clients in solution discussions, mentoring and training as needed.
- Proven experience partnering with business unit leaders translating specifications into workable solutions.
- Estimating and project management skills.
- Ability to work with third party consulting providers.
- Experience developing scorecards, dashboards, KPIs and reports.
- Two and Multi-Dimensional Data Modeling.
- SQL Statements and Constructs.
- Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of experience in report writing, ETL and Business Intelligence.
- Higher Education experience preferred.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Will have contact – in person, by email, or by phone – with staff, students, and the general public.
- Must exhibit a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and to staff and students with disabilities.
Span of Authority / Control
- Decisions made independently by this position: Decisions regarding the day-to-day activities support services.
- Decisions referred to the supervisor or other individual: Broad, strategic about the vision and direction of the University and the strategic direction of OTS will be referred to the Director of ERP Systems and Business Intelligence and the CIO.
- All federal/state laws and requirements will drive solutions performed by the incumbent.
- Special circumstances in the work schedule (e.g., travel, shift work, weekend or holiday work, on-call, other): Typical Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm work schedule, with an expectation for additional work hours when necessary.