We want to ensure that the application process is smooth and efficient and recommend the following tips:
- Prior to applying, please provide all of your applicable experience and education relevant to the job requirements.
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- All online assessments are completed online. After you submit an application, if an assessment is required, an email with instructions to complete the assessment will be sent to you. In the event you need access to a computer, please consider visiting the WIN Job Center or your local library.
Once you apply, we will review your qualifications and contact you if we would like to discuss your application.
Due to the large volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to personally respond to all applicants. Please feel free to check the status of your application via your Candidate Profile.
Important Applications Instructions:
Please complete this application in entirety by providing all of your work experience, education and certifications/
license. You will be unable to edit/add/change your application once it is submitted.
Job Requisition ID:
Research (Non-Faculty Only)
Main Campus Jackson
Data Scientist I
Develops and executes basic and intermediate data management functions under direct guidance, including building platforms for database design, data acquisition, data quality assurance, data curation and data distribution. Collaborates with investigators and assists lead data scientists in data management, data visualization and data analytic activities.
Education & Experience
Master’s in computer science, statistics, biostatistics, analytics or directly related field and one year of related database platform experience.
Certifications, Licenses or Registration required: N/A
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Skills and abilities using database platforms such as SQL, NoSQL, & DBaaS; data acquisition platforms such as REDCap & OpenClinic; and programming platforms such as PYTHON, R, JAVA/JS/D3.JS, Stata and/or SAS. Excellent interpersonal communication skills with ability to communicate advanced ideas and concepts clearly.
- Under direct guidance, build database platforms for the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data, including integration of disparate data sources utilizing a variety of technology resources.
- Under direct guidance, develop and execute validation rules regarding data integrity and data quality as it relates to the impact on research requirements.
- Under direct guidance, develop processes for data queries, ETL (extraction, transformation and loading) and data object delivery while managing permissions.
- Serve in a supporting role for research projects, with consultation or assistance as needed. Demonstrate understanding of how related tasks contribute to the role of the data team on the project. Attend team meetings when appropriate and participate in the data team responsible for designing and validating data and programming projects. Accomplish project responsibilities with supervision or regular support.
- The duties listed are general in nature and are examples of the duties and responsibilities performed and are not meant to be construed as exclusive or all- inclusive. Management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Physical and Environmental Demands
Requires occasional lifting up to 10 pounds. constant sitting, occasional standing, and occasional walking. (occasional-up to 20%, frequent-from 21% to 50%, constant-51% or more)
FLSA Designation/Job Exempt:
Job Posting Date:
Job Closing Date (open until filled if no date specified):