Senior Data Engineer (3 Positions)
With over 18,000 students and 2,000 members of staff, the University of Limerick (UL) is an energetic, research led and enterprising institution with a proud record in innovation and excellence in education, research and scholarship. The dynamic, entrepreneurial and pioneering values which drive UL’s mission and strategy ensure that we capitalise on local, national and international engagement and connectivity. We are renowned for providing an outstanding student experience and conducting leading-edge research. Our commitment is to make a difference by shaping the future through educating and empowering our students.
With the River Shannon as a unifying focal point, UL is situated on a superb riverside campus of over 130 hectares. Outstanding recreational, cultural and sporting facilities further enhance the campus’s exceptional learning and research environment.
Applications are invited for the following position:
Office of the Director of Information Technology
Information Technology Division
Senior Data Engineer (3 Positions) – Permanent
Salary Scale: €56,235 - €79,954 p.a.
Informal enquiries regarding the post may be directed to:
Mr Dominic Burns
Business Intelligence and Reporting Systems
University of Limerick
The closing date for receipt of applications is Tuesday, 12th December 2023.
Applications must be completed online before 12 noon, Irish Standard Time on the closing date.
The University of Limerick supports blended working
Please note your application must include:
A letter of introduction indicating how you meet the criteria outlined in the job description.
A completed online application form (separate application forms must be submitted for each post applied for).
TITLE OF POST: Senior Data Engineer (3 Positions)
LOCATION: University of Limerick
REPORTS TO: Head of Business Intelligence and Reporting Systems
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
SALARY SCALE: €56,235 - €79,954 p.a.
The University of Limerick supports blended working
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The ITD Business Intelligence and Reporting Systems team is responsible for the facilitation and operation of reporting technologies across the UL campus.
The role of the Senior Data Engineer is to take a leading role on projects to enhance the operational effectiveness of UL through provision of new data management technologies, data feeds to/from new and legacy systems, building and enhancing data models in the UL Data Warehouse, and facilitating end-user reporting capabilities.
The role holder will work under broad direction and will be responsible for the detailed technical definition, implementation and satisfactory completion of medium-scale projects which typically involve collaboration with a mix of business and IT colleagues from across the UL campus.
Reporting to the Head of BI and Reporting Systems, the successful candidate will work as part of a team to deliver data engineering and business intelligence solutions.
This position has a range of working relationships both internal and external to the IT Division and the University. These include: other technical support staff, business representatives from academic and administrative departments, Managers of administration offices, the director of IT and senior leadership of the University. The position will also liaise regularly with contractors, consultants and vendors.
- Applies deep knowledge of SQL-based data engineering techniques to extract data from multiple source systems, transform data into suitable models and provide mechanisms to allow users and destinations systems to access the resulting data.
- Manipulates and manages structured data stored in MS SQL and Oracle databases.
- Analyses, designs and implements source and destination interface logic using Microsoft scripting and data processing and interfacing technologies such as SSIS and Powershell to pass data to and from source/destination systems.
- Works closely with vendors of third party systems to determine the most appropriate form and content of data feed flows into and out of UL core systems.
- Builds dashboards and reports to allow campus end-users to gain a consistent and detailed understanding of information held within UL and third-party systems.
- Assists in management and maintenance of BI operational platform.
- Based on initial broad objectives, works with business and IT stakeholders (such as the ITD Project Management team) to illicit requirements and gain a detailed understanding of technology, interface and data requirements.
- Based on project requirements, creates plans and specifications for implementation of data engineering and reporting elements.
- Leads small to medium projects which may involve supervision of other project members.
- Manages/contributes to multiple projects at different states in a given period.
- Utilises knowledge and understanding to support UL management processes.
- Provides technical leadership and direction to project stakeholders to manage expectations and enable them to make appropriate decisions.
- Identifies and clearly communicates project (and systemic) risks.
- Works closely with business users to define dashboard, reporting and analytics requirements and translate those requirements into high-quality reporting and dashboard implementations.
- Manages upward to convey project progress, operational issues and anticipate the needs of senior stakeholders and organisational structures.
- Regularly communicates with fellow BI team members, sharing progress, techniques and lessons learned.
- Takes part in information sessions, delivering presentations to various groups across the campus about the work of the BI team.
- Scans the technology landscape for data engineering and business intelligence systems in order to identify best future solutions for UL.
- Identifies and implements continuous improvement changes to existing BI team practices.
- Mentors other BI team members and end-users of BI technologies.
- Champions new BI technologies within the BI team.
- Documents, manages and maintains best practice technology development standards across the BI team.
- Works with Head of BI Systems to plan and implement future significant technology direction such as move-to-cloud.
It should be noted that the above list of duties is not exhaustive and other duties and responsibilities may be assigned to the post holder from time to time.
- 6+ years relevant industry IT experience - Essential
- Experience in planning and managing small to medium scale projects through all phases of the project lifecycle - Essential
- Experience in working with complex database systems including using SQL and PL/SQL and related tools to analyse and interrogate databases - Essential
- Experience in implementing transfer of data from one system to another using automated processes (e.g. batch database job, scheduled task, MQ Series, etc.) - Essential
- Experience in transforming source data into facts and dimensions for storage in a data warehouse - Desirable
- Experience in manipulation and transformation of data to identify issues and prove viability of solutions - Essential
- Experience of using reporting technologies to present to non-technical audiences - Essential
- Experience in supporting a large scale application - Desirable
- Experience in producing functional and technical specifications- Essential
- Experience in producing help documentation for technical and non-technical users - Desirable
- Knowledge of enterprise IT solutions in an education or public sector environment - Desirable
- A primary degree in a relevant subject or substantial relevant IT experience in one or more large organisations - Essential