WHO WE ARE:
Service, Respect, and Connection are core to the individual and collective TRS experience. We know that great service rests on a foundation of relationships that connect us all to an empowering and rewarding career. At TRS, we’re inspired by our diverse community who bring authenticity and commitment to our mission to improve the retirement security of public education employees and retirees throughout Texas.
As a group of achievers, we tap collaboration and innovation to raise the bar in performance, administering and counseling pensions and healthcare benefits to ensure certainty for the future of our members. We invite you to join us, where both personal and career growth are respected and where you can make a difference in our members’ lives every day.
The Senior Business Intelligence and Data Analyst is responsible for implementing automation to improve the Financial Services Division efficiency. The incumbent will interpret and analyze various department operations to develop and implement solutions to support the Financial Services Division and the Agency, and provide technical training and assistance to staff. This position will proactively work with the Analytics and Financial Insights team, Financial Services Division staff, and Agency employees.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Business Intelligence and Data Analysis
- Defines, develops, and implements automation of reports, processes, and interfaces.
- Designs and develops models to improve financial analysis and to project financial impact of business changes.
- Interprets and translates accounting and finance business needs into effective applications and operational requirements to assist IT staff with implementation of finance and accounting system solutions.
- Liaison between Information Technology and Financial Services Division to facilitate testing and implementation of data warehouse.
- Identifies data gaps, errors, anomalies, inconsistencies, and redundancies by analyzing the content, structure, and relationships within data.
- Understands and compiles accurate data to present reports and assesses data quality.
- Applies a broad range of techniques and theories from business intelligence, data analysis and visualization, statistics, predictive analytics and machine learning to deliver actionable business insights based on large-scale data.
- Defines, captures, enriches, explores and preps data to support desired metrics monitoring and reports.
- Leverages mature data with variable/algorithm selection, predictive and behavioral analytics to identify emerging risks and issues beyond operational controls.
- Troubleshoots and resolves problems related to accounting and finance systems and applications.
- Provides thorough, visible, rigorous and transparent data reports and analysis.
- Tracks trends and provides recommendations for solutions based on findings.
- Interprets and communicates analytical insights to audiences with various analytical backgrounds using different but suitable communication methods for different audiences.
- Develops visually appealing and intuitive dashboards that provide visibility into key performance, risk and control indicators across agency divisions and departments.
- Delivers quality results and presentations under short timelines.
Training and Technical Guidance
- Serves as a central resource for reports interpretation and assists with developing specifications for reports.
- Provides training and technical assistance to agency staff on processes, applications, and reporting.
- Participates on finance related agency committees and special projects as assigned.
- Performs quality assurance and serves as a subject matter expert on data integrity, extraction, testing and compilation.
- Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Information Technology, Data Analytics, Business Intelligence or a related field.
- Six (6) years of full-time experience in data analytics, business intelligence or similar field. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Experience with SQL, MS SQL Server, business intelligence and visualization tools and MS Office Suite.
- Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Experience with Workiva Wdesk/Wdata, MS Power BI, MS Visual Studio and MS Visio.
- Experience working with a star-schema data warehouse or other data analytic data structures.
- Knowledge of R or Python.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
- Uses advanced-to expert-level knowledge to perform strategic tasks and address business problems.
- Uses advanced problem-solving skills and applies these skills to varied and complex business situations.
- Performs work that often requires knowledge commonly acquired through a prolonged course of specialized academic instruction in a business field.
- Has upper-level professional skills and abilities to perform varied and complex business tasks.
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at email@example.com with questions or for additional information.
To view all job vacancies, visit www.trs.texas.gov/careers or www.trs.csod.com/careersite.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.