Business Data Analyst
Why you’ll love working here:
- You’re making an impact by helping to deliver on our Pension Promise
- World class Defined Benefit pension plan
- 100% company paid Extended Health and Dental benefits for permanent for employees
- Business casual dress code
- Annual wellness reimbursement program for health & wellness-related expenses for permanent employees
- Virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes, nutritionist consultations and wellness seminars
- Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, we have implemented a work-from-home policy for our employees, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Investment Data Management, the Business Data Analyst will support mission critical functions of data operations and data governance ensuring the timely availability of accurate investment data for HOOPP.
Data operations ensures investment applications have complete information for business users daily. This includes but is not limited to monitoring the daily cycle of events, ensure data integrity and availability within investment applications, data reconciliation, pricing integrity, security master, integrity of reference and market data and straight-through trade capture. The Business Data Analyst will assist in the design and implementation of data quality best practices. Data governance practices ensures the integrity, usability and transparency of investment data. Business Data Analyst will be involved in maintaining the investment data dictionary, reviewing data governance processes and practices keeping up-to-date on industry standards in the data governance space. The Business Data Analyst will assist in the design and implementation of the governance process and its systems.
The position requires strong problem solving and analytical skills coupled with investment operations knowledge, data loading and scheduling, managing reference and market data, and systems testing experience. The candidate should be SQL literate and comfortable navigating databases. This position requires the individual to be available at 7:00 a.m. to support the data management functions. Occasionally when supporting other team members, the individual may be required to stay as late as 6:00 p.m. or until all daily tasks are completed. There may also be the occasional weekend work for system testing or implementations.
What you will do:
- Ensure completeness of overnight data jobs. Work with IT in repairing failed jobs, re-running processes as required and optimizing scheduling.
- Resolve data integrity issues on a timely basis, escalate as needed and contribute to finding resolutions and for improving controls and efficiency.
- Review data integrity checks to assess potential data issues resident in the various investment applications. Create, develop, implement and test data quality checks, processes and procedures to manage data, content quality and reconciliation requirements.
- For Production systems (SimCorp Dimension, SAP HANA, Eagle PACE, Bloomberg) the Business Data Analyst is responsible for security master, reference data, maintaining tables and data translations. The controls must be executed for static data, pricing, market data and automated trade capture on an ongoing basis.
- Where custom application function or report requirement is identified, the Business Data Analyst is responsible to work with IT by assisting in the preparation of specifications, providing test cases, testing finished product and signing off.
- Document operational processes, data flows, test cases and results.
- Develop effective working relationships with HOOPP’s investment management teams, operational teams, custodians, auditors, system vendors and others within the industry.
- Develop a detailed understanding of HOOPP’s investment business and the various systems and operation processes used to support it; to respond quickly and accurately to questions and problems that arise in the availability, integrity or completeness of Investment Data.
- Primary back up and support for Senior Analysts as required.
- The Business Data Analyst will work with the IT Specialists to ensure that the security reference manager, market data, pricing data feeds meet or exceed HOOPP Data Standards.
- Actively monitor and execute data governance controls, this includes the ongoing maintenance of HOOPP’s investment data dictionary. Contribute to the development of best practices and data governance standards.
- Proactively validates data using exception handling tools and procedures. Contributes to the development of the Data Quality checks and identify opportunities to leverage new business tools to meet business requirements.
- Work cross functionally as a contributing team player to ensure Investment applications have complete information for business users daily.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring:
- Knowledge of investment management principles and practices with exposure to marketable securities, derivatives, private placements, infrastructure and real estate.
- Highly analytical with strong consulting and problem solving skills.
- Experience working with databases and advanced knowledge of report development concepts.
- Full competency in MS SQL Server Tools, SQL language and/or Transact-SQL language.
- Competency in Python a definite asset.
- Proactive and results oriented with good time management skills and the ability to work well under pressure and focus on multiple tasks concurrently.
- Post secondary training in finance or equivalent experience. Completion of Canadian Securities Course. Enrolment or completion of relation professional training (e.g. CFA) – is not required though may be an asset.
- Minimum experience: 5 years in investment and financial systems administration, implementation and reporting.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills are essential to deal with all levels of staff and outside contacts.
- Comprehensive understanding of middle and back office processes and technical applications.
- Competence with database report writers and Windows based software with a strong proficiency in Excel.
- An understanding of the accounting and performance reporting requirements will be an asset to this position.
- Develop a strong proficiency with systems being utilized for the Investment business (SAP HANA, Eagle PACE, SimCorp Dimension, Bloomberg, SS&CNet)
- This position requires an above average, technically inclined individual who is a self-starter and highly motivated to manage financial data/systems in an integrated environment.
- Experience with Business Intelligence software and ETL tools a definite asset.
Notice for job applicants
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario's hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 400,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 610 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada's largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP's net assets reached $104 billion at the end of 2020 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 119%.
HOOPP's core values - professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy - guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We've become one of Canada's leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we're proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.
Primary Location Toronto
Employee Status Permanent
Job Type Standard
Job Posting Apr 15, 2021, 2:25:58 PM