Energy Aspects currently have an exciting opportunity available for a Lead Data Analyst to join our centralised data team, based out of our London office. This is a fantastic hands-on opportunity for an experienced team manager and technical data-focused specialist to work closely with our highly regarded oil and energy teams, optimizing our data content and capabilities.
The successful candidate will manage a team of data analysts and contribute to the full cycle of our work, from data mining, building and maintaining data models and also assisting with the carrying out of detailed analysis. You will spend much of your time working with data, putting your technical and analytical skills to good use.
Combined with your experience managing a small team and abilities in Python and SQL, you will have professional experience in a data role and a desire to work in the energy industry, enabling you to quickly take on a range of responsibilities including modelling, data visualisation and the automation of our data collection services.
- Manage and oversee a technical team.
- Collecting relevant market data from external sources, cleansing and preparing for analysis.
- Modelling market data and scenarios.
- Closely supporting our research team and resolving any data issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Supporting a range of strategic, company-level data initiatives.
- Experience managing a technical team.
- General coding competency and understanding of best practices.
- Collecting data from external sources (websites, APIs, FTP, etc.) using packages like requests, beautifulsoup, selenium, scrapy.
- Interacting with databases (e.g via SQLAlchemy).
- Executing initial analysis and visualisation of data using libraries such as pandas, NumPy, matplotlib, seaborn, plotly, etc.
- Querying data via SQL (joins, CTE, aggregate functions, union, etc.) (ideally PostgreSQL, MySQL).
- Design and creation of databases, tables, indexes.
- Experience importing, exporting and migrating data within databases..
- Experience working with other databases/datastore technologies (NoSQL, file stores, etc.).
- Understanding of how to best organize and model data for storage, retrieval and analysis.
- Understanding of the importance of data governance and metadata.
- Excellent statistical analysis skills.
- Working knowledge of Excel.
- The ability to meet deadlines and work effectively with others, including colleagues in different time zones, to deliver timely data and analysis.
- Effective communication skills, comfortable presenting to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Attention to detail in both handling data and written English.
- Use of version control (Git).
- Use of cloud data platforms (Google Cloud, AWS).
- Energy sector experience is not essential but would be advantageous.
- An interest in commodities, energy or financial markets would be beneficial.
- Prior forecasting or modeling experience or training.
Founded in 2012, we are an independent research consultancy that has enjoyed phenomenal growth since our inception, and we have very ambitious plans to continue our upwards growth trajectory. We are passionately committed to providing indispensable and industry-leading short, medium and long-term analysis, and forecasts of the energy markets, that helps our clients trade, invest, finance and plan.
With the recent acquisition of macro research firm Medley Global Advisors, the combination of our market-leading global macro policy analysis and deep energy markets expertise has further strengthened our services to the global financial markets and has enhanced our ability to support our expanding client base, as the energy transition gathers pace and markets look to find their feet in an uncertain future.
Our suite of subscription services can be tailored to meet our clients’ specific needs and combines a data-rich approach and our extensive network of contacts, with insight on geopolitics and energy policy to provide best-in-class assessment, analysis and forecasts of major trends, topics and regions. We also deliver timely analysis of breaking news events and offer proprietary data services that cover fundamental trade and supply/demand data, across a wide variety of products and markets.
Culture & benefits
We build our organisation with community in mind. All our offices are located in landmark buildings with easy access to gyms, shopping, restaurants and public transportation. With a wide range of social clubs, from running to yoga to football to foodies, we build a collegiate, social and dynamic culture that allows people to be at their best, both on the job and off.
Energy Aspects is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and promotes diversity within its workforce. As an international business we are determined that suitably qualified persons will never receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, race, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.