What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
The Software Engineer works in an Agile team in a multi-technology environment and contributes to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of business applications. Under the guidance of a Senior Software Engineer or Manager, collaborates with Business Analysts, key stakeholders, and other IT professionals to define technical specifications (based on business requirements) and system interfaces to develop and present business solutions. Software knowledge base will vary based on the applications being built.
Markel is seeking a talented and passionate Software Engineer to join our team. We want a vocal advocate of agile / lean methods who will be excited about creative problem-solving and being a part of a cross-functional team; will obsess over writing smart, simple code; will tirelessly strive for automation and will have the drive and desire to keep learning the latest industry tools and techniques. You will act as an Agile Scrum Team member and be responsible for development and testing of technical solutions. You will work closely with all scrum team members to review and approve detailed business and functional requirements documents and translate them into technical solutions and as Business specifications in Gherkin. You will design, develop, test, and document system features for major application releases.
What you’ll do…
- Act as a player and change agent in an ever changing environment
- Develop, test, iterate on, and support MVP solutions to operationalize new products
- Drive adoption and use of the latest tools, technologies, and methodologies for product development
- Apply Object Oriented, CI/CD, and REST Concepts while delivering technical solutions
- Leverage agile and DevOps to maximize delivery practices as part of a passionate scrum team
- Analyze complex business and technical requirements into features, user stories and examples
- Work closely with Product Owners and Technical Leads to align product outcomes
- Develop and maintain detailed documentation and other project artifacts
- A team player, who likes working in a dynamic environment and sharing ideas with your team
- Working understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle
- A great communicator able to articulate complex technical concepts in plain language
- Consider yourself a generalist and can pick the right tool for the job
- Continuous learner, seeking out new solutions, and engaging in process improvement
- Problem solver who is delivery and outcome focused
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously
At least one year of Software Development experience in an Agile environment.
Some things you may have experience with:
- C#, .NET, Angular, Java, Java Script, Ruby, Cucumber, Specflow, etc.
- T-SQL, PL/SQL, SQL Developer, Cosmos DB, Mongo DB, etc.
- Search technologies like SOLR, ElasticSearch, etc.
- GIT, Azure DevOps, TFS, etc.
- Web Services, WebAPI, REST, POSTMAN, SOAP UI, Jmeter, etc.
- Familiarity with DevOps, CI/CD, test automation, and cloud deployments
- Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, or other cloud platforms
- Design, develop, and scale API automation suites
- Scale web, API and backend automation testing coverage and building Continuous Testing Life Cycle using Jenkins, VSTS, etc.
Please note: Markel has a phased approach for re-entry into our buildings that is designed to balance the ongoing health, safety, and well-being of our employees with operational considerations and regulatory/ governmental requirements and recommendations. Effective 10/1/21 we have implemented a hybrid return to work strategy that allows for three days in the office every week.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.