Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Data Engineer Senior for our Austin, TX or 100% remote locations. USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds – collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual days onsite are determined between each employee and the employee’s manager.
The candidate selected for this position will be working with the Data Modernization team in IT P&C. Specifically, they will build data pipelines that target our modern data platform on Snowflake. The data pipelines enable the build out of structures used for P&C analytics with a specific focus on Claim analytics.
Data Engineers (DEs) are engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle. This includes gathering and analyzing requirements, collecting, processing, storing, securing, and archiving data. Develop and maintain technical systems for data reporting and technical solutions utilizing emerging technologies. Partner with the business to ensure data management solutions aligned to business objectives.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 5,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Lead and/or engineer the full cycle of data solutions from analysis, solution design, data pipeline engineering, testing, deployment, scheduling, and production support.
- Design and implement highly complex technical solutions for data engineering and analytic systems using new methodologies and emerging technologies.
- Design, build, manage and optimize data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata, data quality, and workload management.
- Lead design reviews for the team and provide recommendations using innovative architectural concepts and principals.
- Breakdown business features into technical stories and approaches. Present to leadership and influence on technical solutions.
- Analyze data, identify, and report trends to management, and make recommendations that enable machine learning.
- Create proof of concepts and prototypes on highly complex solutions and present to leadership to deliver on vision for solution.
- Collaborates with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to lead technical solutions.
- Implement efficient defect management, root cause analysis, and resolution processes.
- Helps develop, maintain, and enforce the company’s data development tools and standards. Conduct code reviews on a regular basis to improve quality and ensure compliance
- Creates the development of data pipelines, extracting data from our various applications (internal & external sources) into the Data Platform.
- Assist in setting technical direction for the team and serves a mentor to team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4 additional years of experience beyond the minimum requirement can be used in lieu of a degree.
- 6 years of data engineering, data analysis or software development experience implementing data solutions with at least 2 years of data engineering or data management experience.
- Proven experience with end to end delivering of data solutions that includes building, managing, and optimizing data pipelines across cloud environments; curating and modeling the data for various types of consumers/products and their pattern of usage to include data marts, data lake, and operational analytic applications.
- Experience completing multiple projects leveraging the agile methodology in delivering data
- Extensive knowledge and experience in SQL and Relational Databases.
- Understanding of Machine Learning Algorithms.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $106,800 - $192,300*( this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
- Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.