Where You Fit In
You will be part of a community of experts in different capabilities in Information Digital Engineering driving ideas to reality embedding AI in every part of our organisation from making our existing businesses more effective and efficient and make us competitive as we accelerate the development of the next generation of clean energy solutions.
The Information Data & Analytics (IDA) family is a family of Data experts who create business value every day with their cutting-edge knowledge. We maximize value from information & data, using our domain knowledge & deep technical expertise in market leading information & data tools, to deliver actionable data driven insights for Shell
What’s The Role?
As Data Engineer, You will design and build data foundations and end to end solutions for Shell to maximize value from data. You are a key person to convert Vision and Data Strategy for IT solutions and deliver them. With your knowledge you will help create data-driven thinking within the organization, not just within IT teams, but also in the wider Shell stakeholder community.
In this role, you will:
- Communicate with both technical developers and business managers and gain respect and trust of leaders and staff.
- Actively deliver the roll-out and embedding of Data Foundation initiatives in support of the key business programs advising on the technology and using leading market standard tools.
- Coordinate the change management process, incident management and problem management process.
- Ensure traceability of requirements from Data through testing and scope changes, to training and transition.
- Drive implementation efficiency and effectiveness across the pilots and future projects to minimize cost, increase speed of implementation and maximize value delivery.
Being Our Team Member, you will be an asset in our team bringing deep technical skills and capabilities to become a key part of projects defining the data journey in Shell, keen to engage, network and innovate in collaboration with companywide teams.
What we Need from you
- University degree in any IT discipline.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in the IT industry.
- Proven technology champion in working with relational, Data warehouses databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases. Experience/Knowledge in working with NoSQL databases and can create E2E pipelines.
- Experienced in building and optimizing complex queries. Good with manipulating, processing and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- Proven Experience in working with any one of the data engineering technologies like ADLS, ADF, Azure Databricks, Azure SQL, Synapse, SAP HANA, AWS. Your experience in handling big data sets and big data technologies will be an asset.
- Proven champion with in-depth knowledge of any one of the scripting languages: Python, SQL, Spark-SQL/ PySpark.
- Very Good understanding in Data Foundation initiatives, like Modelling, Data Quality Management, Data Governance, Data Maturity Assessments and Data Strategy in support of the key business stakeholders.
- Experience in working with AGILE, KANBAN methodologies. Able to run a sprint.
- Communication Skills to engage both technical developers, Architects, and stakeholders.
Good to haves:
- Previously created or enhanced CI/CD build and releases pipelines.
- Experience in working with scripting languages such as YAML, PowerShell, Terraform etc.
- Experience with big data tools: Kafka, Hadoop, Spark and similar technologies. Experience with stream-processing systems.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow and more.
- Core Python skills like: Numpy, Panda, Django.
- Certification in Azure.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.