Who We Are
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients.Data Scientist
This is an open full-time position in Global MSAT Data Science & Analytics a team whose mission is to create advanced data visualizations, predictive models, and automated reports for high-impact data-driven decision making. We achieve this by utilizing technically comprehensive and flexible process models and analytical tools that enable us to assess our manufacturing performance and capabilities.
Data Science & Analytics owns the business processes for data analytics that support process monitoring, deviation analysis, process optimization, change impact assessment, and strategic capacity planning. The candidate will apply their technical knowledge of biopharmaceutical processes and statistical techniques to build, maintain, and execute these models, as well as to analyze and create advanced visualizations for data outputs. The candidate will create interactive dashboards as well as document analyses, results, and recommendations in reports and oral presentations. This position requires close collaboration with process SMEs and stakeholders throughout the Technical Operations organization.Responsibilities:
- Partner within the GMSAT Data Science & Analytics team and with TOPs business partners to develop standards and procedures for Manufacturing Process Monitoring and Predictive Modeling.
- Create and manage interactive data visualizations and dashboards for process monitoring and modeling outputs.
- Develop process monitoring models: gather user requirements, develop data models, and create outputs for the management and trending of manufacturing data.
- Manage process monitoring tools: perform routine maintenance, perform updates and improvements, and troubleshoot issues with data management applications.
- Deploy Advanced Analytical Models: apply advanced numerical and statistical techniques including multivariate analysis, time series analysis and machine learning to analyze large datasets of process and raw materials data and generates predictive models to enhance process understanding.
- Use data analysis software and techniques to support process improvement initiatives and deviation investigations.
- Author documents including work instructions for models; memos and reports with analysis findings and recommendations; prepare oral presentations.
- Participate in investigations and process improvement teams as a competent data and statistical subject matter expert.
Minimum Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineering or any scientific discipline with an emphasis in mathematics and statistics.Experience:
- 2-5 years of professional experience as a Data Analyst or comparable work in a Pharmaceutical or Medical Technology environment. (Someone with >5yrs experience in a Biopharmaceutical manufacturing environment and with a strong interest in learning data analytics will also be considered)
- Detailed understanding of biopharmaceutical manufacturing unit operations, including cell culture, fermentation, and purification processes.
- Process data mining, simulation, analysis, and visualization skills (Proficient in programming languages, R, Python, SQL)
- Experience OSI Pi, Discoverant, SIMCA.
- Proficiency with one or more enterprise Business Intelligence technologies (Power BI, Tableau, Spotfire)
- Familiarity with the basic concepts of relational data modelling and database design.
- Understanding of statistical and machine learning concepts (e.g., hypothesis testing, correlation analysis, regression analysis, time series forecasting, and predictive modeling).
- Comfortable working with structured and semi-structured data.
- Ability to create enhanced data visualization in ways that are universally understandable and easy to interpret; spot patterns, trends, and correlations; provide suggestions to improve processes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; skilled at communicating technical material to a broad audience.
- Experience with cross-functional collaboration; integrating team with multi-disciplinary areas of the business.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.