Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission of Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives. With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, offices in Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,700 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
The Abiomed Applied Research group is a team of scientists and engineers building a new generation of Impella “Smart Pump” devices. We are currently hiring a Data Scientist to lead or contribute to the design and implementation of new machine learning algorithms that guide treatment decisions and improve patient outcomes. These algorithms will play a central role in the pursuit of Abiomed’s mission of recovering heart and saving lives. We are looking for a creative self-starter who thrives in a continuously growing data environment and enjoys a fast-paced, dynamic research group.
- Responsible for end-to-end development of machine learning algorithms
- Design new statistical and physiological features for time series data
- Evaluate algorithm performance in offline (in silico) and live (in vitro, in vivo) environments
- Collaborate with software teams to implement algorithms on embedded hardware
- Maintain concise descriptions of algorithm design specifications and performance evaluations
- Perform variability analyses for model optimization
- Quantitatively and qualitatively evaluate new ML/AI techniques and integrate into algorithm design
- Communicate algorithm designs and performance results to cross-functional stakeholders
- Attend scientific conferences and act as a data science ambassador for the organization
- MS or BS in computer science, data science, or equivalent technical field; with relevant academic or industry projects.
- Demonstrated capability in machine learning techniques (e.g. classification, regression, clustering, sequence generation, forecasting, reinforcement learning, Markov modeling, or Bayesian statistics)
- Proficient in Python. Experience in one or more development packages such as Sklearn, Keras/Tensorflow, PyTorch, or Theano
- Willing to travel 5-10% of the time to meet with customers to gather user needs and assess product performance, and attend scientific conferences
Experience with the following is strongly preferred:
- APIs & cloud computing platforms (Microsoft Azure or AWS)
- Embedded software (C/C++ or equivalent)
- Medical devices and electronic health record data
- Superb communication and collaboration skills – comfortable operating within and outside a core team and presenting progress to company leadership
- Demonstrated excellence of analytical thinking in one or more technical fields
- Self-motivated and good team player
- Willing to learn and explore new technologies
- Independent, efficient, and able to manage several concurrent projects
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.