At Tyler Technologies, we exist to inspire and empower every public servant to address society's pressing issues. We do that by enabling data-driven leadership through connected data and shared insights.
Our data as a service platform and cloud-based solutions support the world’s most effective open and internal data sharing programs at every level of government. What we do matters. New York City, Virginia, the Department of Commerce, and 230+ other cities, states, counties and federal agencies use us to connect citizens and their internal teams with information that matters to their day to day life. The Data Engineer will be part of our cross-division Solution Development team, which develops data-driven analytical and transparency solutions. These solutions lower the barriers to insights and provide public servants unprecedented access to data in Tyler source systems that underpin many of the basic functions of governments including public safety, community development, and public administration.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer. This person will work with internal partners, clients and developers to brainstorm and evaluate technical solutions, product integration opportunities and demonstrations. This role requires creative thinking, a deep understanding of data/ the power of data, as well as empathy for partner/client challenges and pain points. This person needs to work hand-in-hand at a strategic level with their colleagues in Product Development, and other Tyler divisions as well as in other departments, around a specified set of targeted software partnerships, integrations, and solutions we are pursuing and incubating.
This is a technical role but also requires a diverse range of consultative and project management skills. The primary focus of this role is to collaborate with cross-divisional partners to design and implement data ingress strategies that support Socrata solutions. These solutions in turn enable public sector organizations to share data with their audiences, internal employees and other agencies. The work with partners includes full projects as well as proofs of concept. A proof of concept aligns Socrata solutions with a partner's vision, mission or program, which requires technical configuration, data transformation and solution creation.
Work with our transformative data solutions that help agencies address mission-critical outcomes. Our cloud-based data platform, open data solutions, and performance management solutions help agencies improve performance, transparency, and public engagement.
- Develop scalable technical solutions that enable easy integrations between the Socrata platform and partner data systems.
- Develop and manage quality documentation of new and existing integrations to facilitate the reuse, broad adoption and scaling of those solutions.
- Create and conduct demonstrations of Socrata solutions and services around Socrata Connected Government Cloud.
- Identify new opportunities and solutions that meet the needs of current and prospective partners and clients.
- Collaborate with partners and clients to define the scope of work for successful proofs of concepts and pilots. Lead those projects, especially during the first month, in which the lion’s share of the technical configuration, data transformation and solution creation take place.
- Help partners and their clients present their data in the most widely accessible and useful forms, including but not limited to: transforming it from its native relational architecture to a more consumption-optimized (“flatter”) architecture; decoding type codes; splitting, combining and/or concatenating data; cleaning up metadata; creating data visualizations including charts and maps; telling stories of outcome and impact with data and creating lightweight data exploration experiences.
- Attend feasibility meetings with new partners and clients to assess the feasibility of using the Socrata solutions to meet their additional needs beyond their original purpose.
- Undergraduate degree in a technical, relevant field of work or commensurate industry experience is required; Master’s degree or relevant industry experience is preferred.
- Ability to perform data transformations using data extract, transform and load (ETL) tools in languages such as Scala, Java, or Python.
- Familiarity and experience with cloud computing platforms, particularly Amazon Web Services.
- Ability to create and optimize advanced SQL queries both for data extraction and as the basis for compelling customer-facing Socrata solutions.
- Ability to communicate at both a technical and a business level, developing trust and confidence with a wide variety of individuals within a client organization.
- Off the charts passion for delivering elegantly-designed and well-performing products and services that delight clients.
- Ability to “think on your feet” and comfortable architecting creative solutions to data sharing problems by adapting and configuring Socrata solutions to meet unique client needs. Ability to articulately talk through and whiteboard these concepts and approaches with clients.
- Familiarity working with public sector organizations is strongly desired.
- Ability to create beautiful data visualizations including charts and maps using Socrata solutions.
- Ability to focus, balance trade-offs, work within constraints and make good decisions, including managing multiple projects simultaneously, is required.
- Comfortable conducting client trainings of data publishing workflows.
- Self-directed, self-motivated and the ability to work independently.
Tyler Technologies (NYSE: TYL) provides integrated software and technology services to the public sector. Tyler’s end-to-end solutions empower local, state, and federal government entities to operate more efficiently and connect more transparently with their constituents and with each other. By connecting data and processes across disparate systems, Tyler’s solutions are transforming how clients gain actionable insights that solve problems in their communities. Tyler has more than 26,000 successful installations across more than 10,000 sites, with clients in all 50 states, Canada, the Caribbean, Australia, and other international locations. A financially strong company, Tyler has achieved double-digit revenue growth every quarter since 2012. It was also named to Forbes’ “Best Midsize Employers” list in 2019 and recognized twice on its “Most Innovative Growth Companies” list. More information about Tyler Technologies, headquartered in Plano, Texas, can be found at tylertech.com. To learn more about our Socrata solutions, visit tylertech.com/products/socrata.
Additionally, we aspire to be remarkable: in the culture we create, the products we build, and the services we deliver. We believe a diverse team that embodies different backgrounds and experiences is necessary for us to be the best we can be. Within the company, we pursue a culture of inclusivity by identifying and removing aspects of our culture that stop people from being able to do the best work of their lives in physical and emotional safety, while being their authentic selves. We seek diversity, equity, and inclusion across our organization and in our daily work as individuals.
We are committed to making continual progress in everything that we do.
Colorado Code of Regulations 7 CCR 1103-13 Disclosure
Salary will generally fall between $81,886 - $133,604 before adjustment for geographic differences. Recruiter can confirm if position is incentive eligible.
Taking Care of You & Your Family
Your family’s health and well-being are important to us. That’s why we invest in our employees by offering competitive benefits to support their health and financial wellness. Learn more about how we care for our employees »
Tyler is subject to regulations, guidelines, and/or client requirements relating to the qualifications of Tyler personnel performing certain client work. Because of the nature of this position, it is a requirement that the candidate can successfully pass a federal background check at the time an offer is extended and over the course of employment with Tyler.