Date Posted: 11/17/2021
Req ID: 19124
Faculty/Division: VP & Provost
Department: Ofc of Vice Pres. & Provost
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The Office of the Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education (OVPIUE) supports institutional initiatives that enhance the educational experience of students in the University’s seven direct-entry undergraduate academic divisions. The OVPIUE supports the President’s Priority to reimagine undergraduate education and works with academic divisions and teaching and learning centres to develop and enhance academic curricula and faculty pedagogy. To achieve its strategic objectives, the OVPIUE administers, advises, or partners on a number of critical institutional programs and services including, but not limited to:
- The Centre for Teaching Support & Innovation, which includes the University’s course evaluation system;
- All institutional teaching awards and grants;
- Enterprise-level educational technology systems, platforms, and projects (Learning Management System, learning analytics, student academic success analytics and reporting, course information system);
- Institutional systems and initiatives relating to experiential learning and undergraduate research;
- Engagement with external organizations on teaching and learning-related matters (government grants, and performance-based funding reporting, and digital learning).
The unit also plays a key service and coordinating role in support of program and curricular design, in collaboration with academic divisions and the Office of the Vice-Provost, Academic Programs.Your opportunity:
Under the general direction of the Director, OVPIUE and supervision of the Director, Centre for Teaching Support & Innovation, theData Analyst – Learning Analytics (LA) will be actively involved in projects relating to the development of a learning analytics program at the University of Toronto. Learning Analytics involve using data from our student learning management system (Canvas), integrated educational technology tools, and other student data for the purposes of better understanding and optimising student learning and the learning environment. The incumbent will consult with faculty and teaching and learning specialists on the data-driven design of investigations of student learning resulting in reports and analyses. The incumbent will have the opportunity to develop new data tools that support faculty efforts to create a better learning experience for students. The incumbent will be comfortable working with stakeholders to understand their needs, have experience developing creative approaches to understanding learning data through data analysis and visualization, and expertise with a statistical analysis tool (e.g,, R/Python) and a data visualization tool (e.g., Tableau/Power BI).Your responsibilities will include:
Analyzing and documenting business requirements
- Analyzing complex data that requires great precision and attention to many details
- Training others on interpreting results, research methods and data analysis
- Generating reports
- Creating and producing visual images on scientific data and research
- Analyzing and developing program scripts to extract, reformat and analyze data
- Developing and maintaining a dashboard for quick access to key performance indicators
- Coordinating tasks for projects and other strategic initiatives with stakeholders
Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience supporting data-driven decision-making by conducting detailed data analysis, producing complex statistical information, and analyzing large datasets, preferably in a postsecondary education or research-intensive institution.
- Experience effectively synthesizing information
- Experience training on research methods and dataanalysis
- Experience working with and manipulating complex data sets using Excel, Tableau and R
- Experience with data analysis.
- Experience developing and maintaining a dashboard of key performance indicators.
- Experience and intermediate skills in writing/coding programming scripts (e.g. Python, SQL) to extract, reformat and analyze data.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products, and advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to adapt to new and changing priorities
- Project management skills with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to manage a set of competing priorities.
- Demonstrated strong client service orientation and commitment to fostering equity, diversity and inclusion in a professional environment.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
Closing Date: 11/28/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget - Term This is a one (1) year Term role.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 13 - $74,781 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $95,634. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial
Recruiter: Anita Chooraman