About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. Combining experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise, we create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 14,000 employees across the world.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. We embrace a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work.
About the position
Cloud Applications Architect – Data Management will combine design thinking techniques, software development, business domain know how and apply agile architecture principles to build high-quality business critical data solutions. You will provide your technical expertise in cloud application, data lake architecture, design and engineering of new products as well as improving existing ones using innovative and practical approaches aligned with the governance standards and current methodologies for the Property & Casualty (P&C) Solutions business of Swiss Re. In this role, you will also be responsible for collaborating with global teams and external partners during all phases of the product development lifecycle.
Your responsibilities include:
- Work as a technical lead within a software engineering team (sized around 10 developers) implementing P&C Analytics Solutions to provide market analysis and portfolio insights to our clients.
- Coordinate the team’s activities across the different stages of the software development lifecycle and take responsibility for the productivity of the team, for the quality of their engineering work, and for the product deliveries.
- Architecture, Design, hands on engineering and creation of proof of concept for our product solutions.
- Acquire and maintain an in-depth understanding of our product solutions landscape, underlying software architectures and constraints.
- Be in charge to design, maintain and extend architectures artifacts.
- Architecture & Design reviews and actively engage in Architecture Review Board sessions.
- Work with systems engineers, consultants and data scientists to design and build Data Analytics platforms and Data Lakes to support compute heavy data science, analytics, and web-facing production tooling.
- Design, develop and maintain scalable data transformation pipelines to consolidate and relate petabytes of data owned by disparate teams and data sources.
- Collaborate with peers to drive the modern cloud architecture for our product portfolio.
- Keep up with technology trends and identify promising new solutions that meet our requirements.
- Present and sell ideas & architecture to wider team and business stakeholders with supporting reasoning.
- Active in shaping and developing product solution strategies, while using hands on experience.
- Mentor and Coach fellow leads & developers on Cloud Solution Architecture / Design & best practices
- Provides hands-on troubleshooting and consulting for solution challenges when needed
• University Degree in Computer Sciences or similar IT related fields
- 10+ years experience relevant to this position
- 5+ years experience as Lead/Senior Azure Cloud Solutions Architect or similar Data Analytics space
- 5+ years of experience and complete understanding of Azure Data Analytics stack - Cosmos DB, Data Lake Storage Gen2 / Blob storage, Delta Lake concepts, Azure Synapse, Azure SQL DB, Azure data Factory, Data Bricks, Azure monitoring, Serverless Architecture, Azure Data Explorer etc. including Kusto Query Language (KQL)
- Proven expertise in Microsoft Azure cloud platform services and using Azure DevOps for CI-CD pipeline implementation leveraging Infrastructure as Code (IaC). Exposure to ML Ops added advantage
- Hands-on experience with Data modelling & physical modelling across structured & unstructured data storage and analytics
- Experience in Data Visualization platforms like Power BI
- Expertise in Microservices Architectures, programming languages and frameworks, API enablement and management, Systems Integration Patterns.
- Experience in one or more of the following programming/scripting languages: Python / C#;
- Desirable to have experience in R
- Experience using integrated development environments (e.g., Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Eclipse, XCode, WebSphere)
- Experience in architecture, implementation and delivery of large-scale cloud and business solutions in real-world situations
- In-depth knowledge of cloud solution architecture methodologies and best practices; Wide knowledge of emerging technology trends
- Experience with broad technology delivery, including custom development using various development languages; Event Driven Architecture and Mesh Architecture
- Experience in agile software engineering with strong fundamentals
- Strong analytical skills, and address problems in a structured way, joining your own creative ideas and those of others.
- Strong communication (written, verbal, and presentation)
- Proven experience in collaborating and working with global business stakeholders.
- Ability to describe and document complex system architecture and processes in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Experience with providing technical leadership on software engineering design, development, and frameworks, analysing alternatives, and presenting technical options to required stakeholders
About the team
The person hired in this role will be a part of the Chief Information & Data Office - Reinsurance Solutions IT team.
Swiss Re Property & Casualty's professionals provide clients with a broad range of premium products, unmatched offers and tailored solutions. Closeness to the markets and a thorough understanding of the key drivers enable us to recognize trends in the risk landscape early and develop innovative reinsurance solutions in collaboration with our clients. Our teams translate global expertise and local knowledge into tailor-made solutions for clients across the globe. Our portfolio is well positioned for future growth, backed by a highly experienced staff with strong underwriting expertise. This fact makes us a forceful partner in providing the right solutions for our treaty and facultative clients. A local market presence combined with an understanding of how external factors impact each line of business allow us to differentiate and tailor our approach for each client.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Swiss Re offers modern work models and attractive workplaces that allow all employees to adapt to changing work preferences and life phases.