Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it. Role Definition
Designs, develops, builds, validates, implements, and supports Specialty & Capital Tools across all three Verticals (RI, CI, and E&T), while also performing analytical tasks and initiatives on large data sets to support data-driven business decisions and development. Responsibilities
- This position is key to success in executing the requests of internal partners in Transformation Optimization and other data-intensive projects.
- Directing the data gathering, data mining, and data processing processes in huge volume; creating appropriate data models.
- Lead and define requirements / scope for data analysis, present and report on possible business insights to management using data visualization technologies.
- This role will also be expected to execute short and long duration engineering projects, assigned by leadership, ensuring achievement of engineering plan and product quality.
- Researching new materials and competitive products. Organizing, coordinating, and executing the building, testing, and analysis of prototypes.
- Assisting supply specialists and buyers with supplier development and supplier performance. Overseeing the efforts of drafting and testing specialists.
- Developing and documenting functional requirements and translating into detail design documents. Participating in buy-build analysis for product components.
- Participating in and supporting proposal preparation, cost estimates, and technical reports.
- Provide specialized engineering technical support and consulting services to various areas of the Global Service organization, Dealers, Customers, and Internal Partners.
Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in an accredited Engineering curriculum. Skill Descriptors
Knowledge of techniques and tools that promote effective analysis; ability to determine the root cause of organizational problems and create alternative solutions that resolve these problems. Level Extensive Experience:
Accuracy and Attention to Detail:
- Seeks discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; explains variances.
- Organizes and prioritizes the sequence of steps to be taken to remedy the situation.
- Identifies many possible causes for a problem based on prior experience and current research.
- Quantifies the costs, benefits, risks and chances for success before recommending a course of action.
- Approaches a complex problem by breaking it down into its component parts.
- Chooses among a diverse set of analytical tools according to the nature of the situation.
Understanding the necessity and value of accuracy; ability to complete tasks with high levels of precision. Level Extensive Experience:
- Evaluates and makes contributions to best practices.
- Processes large quantities of detailed information with high levels of accuracy.
- Productively balances speed and accuracy.
- Employs techniques for motivating personnel to meet or exceed accuracy goals.
- Implements a variety of cross-checking approaches and mechanisms.
- Demonstrates expertise in quality assurance tools, techniques, and standards.
Knowledge of the statistical tools, processes, and practices to describe business results in measurable scales; ability to use statistical tools and processes to assist in making business decisions. Level Working Knowledge:
- Explains the basic decision process associated with specific statistics.
- Works with basic statistical functions on a spreadsheet or a calculator.
- Explains reasons for common statistical errors, misinterpretations, and misrepresentations.
- Describes characteristics of sample size, normal distributions, and standard deviation.
- Generates and interprets basic statistical data.
Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors. Level Working Knowledge:
Managing Multiple Priorities:
- Delivers helpful feedback that focuses on behaviors without offending the recipient.
- Listens to feedback without defensiveness and uses it for own communication effectiveness.
- Makes oral presentations and writes reports needed for own work.
- Avoids technical jargon when inappropriate.
- Looks for and considers non-verbal cues from individuals and groups.
Knowledge of effective self-management practices; ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives, projects, groups, or activities, making effective judgments as to prioritizing and time allocation. Level Working Knowledge:
- Recognizes changing demands and priorities; validates changes with management.
- Obtains information about how current assignments contribute to organizational goals.
- Completes current work according to assigned priorities.
- Responds to day-to-day operational priorities while still making progress on project work.
- Performs at least 2-3 concurrent activities without reducing productivity.
Knowledge of a given technology and various application methods; ability to develop and provide solutions to significant technical challenges. Level Working Knowledge:
Computer-Aided Design & Engineering:
- Provides effective technical solutions to routine functional challenges via sound technical competence, effectively examining implications of events and issues.
- Effectively performs the technical job aspects, continuously building knowledge and keeping up-to-date on technical and procedural job components.
- Applies technical operating and project standards based on achieving excellence in delivered products, technologies, and services.
- Applies current procedures and technologies to help resolve technical issues in one's general area of technical competence.
- Helps others solve technical or procedural problems or issues.
Knowledge of tools and techniques of specialized graphics programs; ability to produce, analyze, simulate and test product design drafts. Level Extensive Experience:
Product Design - MFG:
- Coaches others on orthographic, isometric and axonometric projections.
- Presents complex products and systems graphically.
- Performs manipulations on design objects, such as changing projections and managing drawing layers.
- Directs the matrix computations performed to transform objects in coordinate space.
- Consults on benefits and drawbacks of top-down design vs. bottom-up design.
- Compares and contrasts uses of bird's-eye views and worm's-eye views.
Knowledge of processes, approaches, tools and techniques of product design; ability to convert customer and market requirements into product design. Level Extensive Experience:
Product Design and Development:
- Develops improvement plans for senior management and evaluates the outcome of the design against the functionality.
- Advises others on the development of multiple products and their functionality.
- Trains others on advanced tools and approaches of product design.
- Monitors the processes and procedures of a complex product design to ensure functional requirements are met.
- Evaluates feedback from customers and consults on functional weaknesses.
- Controls design and development costs of a proposed product through effective resource coordination.
Knowledge of product features; ability to design, build, and develop a new product, technology, or service from concept through to production. Level Working Knowledge:
- Builds three-dimensional models with basic materials.
- Communicates with professionals to understand various requirements of product design.
- Tests and evaluates alternative means of production being considered for use.
- Uses automated tools to design or modify the design of a product.
- Assists in building a complex prototype of product.
- Domestic and International Travel is expected, up to 10%
- Primary Work Location: Chennai, India
- ISE assignment is not available for this position
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- Domestic relocation is available to those who qualify
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community .