Data Scientist, Computational DMPK & Safety
Cambridge, UK ; Gothenburg, SE
Salary: Competitive & Excellent Benefits Package
Be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued
Join a place built on innovation and creativity. Where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. An environment that champions inclusion, and teams that reflect the diversity of the communities that we serve.
It propels each of us forward, harnessing our differences to unlock challenges and bring new solutions. Unleash your curiosity and entrepreneurial spirit to uncover new insights that challenge conventions. Here we are forever pushing the boundaries as we feel comfortable spotting opportunities, making quick decisions and taking sensible risks
AstraZeneca is looking to recruit Data Scientists in Computational Toxicology & Data Science to join the Imaging & Data Analytics team within the Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences (CPSS) function at AstraZeneca’s vibrant R&D site in Gothenburg, Sweden or Cambridge, UK.
Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences (CPSS) is a function within Biopharmaceutical R&D Unit, AstraZeneca’s biotech unit which delivers candidate drugs into late-stage clinical development. The role of CPSS is to characterize absorption, disposition, metabolism and elimination (ADME) properties of compounds, non-clinical toxicology and off-target pharmacology.
Working in disease-focused project teams we help to discover efficacious molecules with good safety profiles. CPSS is committed to be an industry leader in supporting the discovery and non-clinical development of safe medicines that improve patients’ lives. Within CPSS, the Computational Toxicology & Data Science team is dedicated towards developing computational models to aid projects to design and select molecules with the right safety and ADME profiles.
As a Data Scientist in Computational Toxicology & Data Science, you will work with innovative technology in an open and collaborative environment nursing novel ideas. The group has a solid focus on method development within the computational area, acknowledging the need to in depth understanding of the safety or ADME properties of interest. Collaboration within and outside CPSS is essential.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As a Data Scientist in Computational Toxicology & Data Science, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Application of Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence and mechanistic modeling approaches to ADME and safety endpoints assuring delivery of appropriate tools and in silico models to projects for virtual screening, compound selection and experimental prioritization.
- Analyzing data and model quality ensuring strong performance of models and tools
- Providing specialist support for development, interpretation and application of machine learning models along with knowledge of common database query languages e.g. SQL
- Supporting analyses to provide mechanistic and translational insight into compound ADME and Safety profiles
- Method development to improve models and enhance model value and generated knowledge
- Work directly with the portfolio project teams to evaluate and incorporate model predictions in decisions and publish novel research in high-quality, peer-review journals and scientific conferences as appropriate
- Masters or PhD degree (or equivalent) in life science, statistics or computer science, preferably with industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge in one or more of the following areas
- Expertise in a variety of machine learning methods (e.g. Deep Learning, SVM, Random Forest)
- Computational chemistry, Computational toxicology or Cheminformatics
- Expertise in high-performance computing and programming (e.g. Python, Julia, R, C++, Java). Experience using cloud platforms is beneficial.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multidisciplinary research environment
- Innovative thinking, with enthusiasm, energy and drive.
- Open-minded, and ready to embrace new ideas and different perspectives.
- Strong critical thinking, planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Biological understanding of toxicology and/or drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK) and modeling of ADME or safety endpoints
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en