15 October 2023
Employer: | East West Railway Company
Location: | Milton Keynes
Basis: | Permanent | Power Platform Manager
A little bit about us:
East West Rail is a proposed new railway linking communities between Oxford and Cambridge. The area is currently let down by a lack of transport choices, and we have a once in a generation opportunity to fix that – improving prosperity for people and places along the way.
East West Railway Company (that's us) was created by the Department for Transport (DfT) to oversee the delivery of East West Rail from construction through to wheels in motion, making sure the railway comes together in the right way.
As Azure Data Engineer
, and a member of the IT Team, you will use an entrepreneurial approach to create a controlled reporting environment and culture within the Company, promoting a data focused approach and developing a set of associated standards, processes, and practices as well as having a hands-on role to play in the implementation and management of the EWR Enterprise Data Environment.
East West Rail operates a matrix structure. Reporting directly to the Senior IT Manager, working closely with the Data Engineer, providing support and mentoring to the more junior members of the ITS&A team. You will also be working closely with the DCoE Development team.
The key responsibility of the Azure Data Engineer
will be to develop and maintain capabilities of the EWR DataBus solution which forms the core of the EWR Enterprise integration platform, working with the Data Engineer and other members of the team.
As part of this responsibility, you will be developing efficient ETL automated data pipelines that are able to handle large volumes of data and you will be maintaining and enforcing best practices in data coding and ensuring that these adhere to the EWR IT Strategy & Architecture development conventions.
You will be contributing to peer code reviews and the preparation of releases and will be expected to monitor, optimise and troubleshoot performance of database systems managed within the EWR Enterprise Data Environment.
Additionally, you will contribute to investigations into new innovations and technologies that would benefit EWR and in the construction and operation of proof of concepts and synopsis to allow business stakeholders to understand and assess the viability of such ideas. You will also contribute to the understanding of industry trends and how new technologies can be leveraged to meet business objectives.
Key in this role will be the mentoring and upskilling of more junior colleagues and helping to build a strong and capable data engineering capability within the team. You will also be expected to work on any other areas and tasks as may reasonably be required by the Senior IT Manager.
Skills, Knowledge And Expertise
- Strong Azure data engineering experience using core Microsoft Azure technologies: Data Factory, Data Lake, Azure SQL, Analysis Services with the ability to troubleshoot issues with proven experience of working with MS SQL in a Data Engineer/SQL Developer/DBA role.
- Extensive expertise in data modelling, data warehousing and ELT/ETL processes
- Development using Json, Python (for data engineering) and SQL and a good level of experience of parsing data formats such as XML/JSON and using 3rd party APIs.
- A demonstrable knowledge of CI/CD and experience using Azure DevOps.
- Azure database experience (Synapse EDW, SQL Managed Instance, Azure SQL).
- Designing of metadata process and an understanding of the range of tools for storing and working with metadata management
- Experience of working within a Scrum / Agile delivery team that are fully responsible for the quality of the software they build and deploy.
- A proven track record of delivering well engineered solutions using best practices such as Agile TDD, CI/CD, peer review etc.
- Knowledge of web-based systems architecture, service-based architecture, enterprise application architecture and with experience of cloud data technologies such as Azure, AWS or Snowflake
- Knowledge of SSIS Catalog and SSAS or similar and a solid understanding of ETL, Database design, Data Warehousing
- Analytical skills: Ability to understand business requirements and develop data requirements from these
- 3 or more years' experience in an Azure Data Engineer related role, with the ability to work individually or as part of a team and to be proactive and self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership.
- Familiarity with the P3M toolset including Oracle P6, ARES Prism, Sword ARM, Oracle Unifier, etc (preferred but not mandatory)
- Experience using with Data modelling tools like Sparx EA, SAP PowerDesigner, Erwin
Education And Qualifications
Educated to B.S. degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS or other discipline with experience in IT
What we offer:
- Competitive base salary
- Up to 12% employer's pension contribution
- 36 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) + up to 2 days to buy
- Life assurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Perks platform with hundreds of discounts and freebies
- On-the-spot and annual awards
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Great work-life balance and flexible working opportunities
- Enhanced family-friendly policies
- Exceptional IT tools
EWR Co strives to embrace a flexible working environment, where a degree of flexibility is maintained to accommodate both the needs and preferences of employees and what is required to achieve business objectives. EWR Co will always work with any individual to assess and accommodate an individual's work life balance and style.
Diversity and inclusion:
To discover the best solutions, it's important we embrace diversity of thought. That's why we aim to ensure our colleagues feel included, engaged, and valued. Inclusiveness is not a buzzword, but a way of being. Our approach to diversity is simple – a workplace where everyone is welcome, and everyone is encouraged to be themselves. It helps fuel our innovation and connects us with the customers and communities we serve.
If you want to connect lives and unlock the future, then we'd love to hear from you