Do you want to leverage environmental data from space satellites and other sources for sustainable development in global ecosystems and water environments? Is clean and efficient software and cloud-native applications your thing? Come join our talented team of developers in DHI’s Data & Analytics department.
Our mission is to work for our blue planet. We excel in engineering and science for understanding and protecting the environment and managing resources sustainably for our clients and common good. As a global, 1100-people, not-for-profit organization of great credibility and respect in our industry, our goal is to have big impact on solving pressing environmental and societal challenges. Read more here: https://dhigroup.com/sustainability
Our work benefits global organizations like the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP), public bodies including municipalities and agencies, and research drivers such as the European Space Agency (ESA) and innovation funds. Often, we partner with other companies and work on advanced technical projects, for example with Google and Microsoft. Corporate social responsibility is something we take very seriously, both in our business and in the company culture. Read more here: https://eo.dhigroup.com/projects/
As a Software Developer / Data Engineer
You will be part of a team of four (and counting) developers, plus bright students. You will develop cloud applications for ingesting, processing and analyzing data from space satellites and other sensors. You will occasionally develop machine learning models and/or effectively put them into production.
You will take a shaping role in projects and see your work quickly make an impact for users and clients. You collaborate closely with our remote sensing and modelling experts and data scientists to turn their great knowledge into efficient software solutions. At the same time, you will have the opportunity to progress and learn through knowledge exchange and sparring across the global company.
Furthermore, your main responsibilities include:
- Develop data-centric cloud applications in Python with data streams and APIs
- Write clean and reusable code and strive for best practices and dev-friendliness
- Build on and contribute to open-source software and social coding
We imagine that you are a developer with around 3 years or more of experience in software development or data engineering or bright early-career (aspiring) professional software developer or data engineer. Moreover, we expect that you are:
- Proficient in Python
- Used to relational databases like Postgres
- Acquainted with deploying services in the cloud like Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Acquainted with Kubernetes and Docker
- Curious, self-driven, and a fast learner
- Proficient in English and have good communication skills
- Experience with Python for data manipulation and web frameworks like FastAPI, Flask or Django
- Understanding of data flow automation and orchestration software like Prefect, Airflow, Dask
- Experience with CI/CD
- Experience with machine learning/ deep learning
- Experience with physical scientific or geospatial data
- Understanding of infrastructure and configuration, e.g. with Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Flair for light-weight deployment, dev-friendliness, low-maintenance
Just to give you an idea: We work with Python for data engineering and data-centric microservice applications. TypeScript, React, and NodeJS for frontend and app logic. We rely on cloud services in Azure and AWS, sometimes GCP, depending on client needs. For dev-friendly, light-weight engineering, we prefer Kubernetes, serverless functions, and other high-level and managed services. Data flow orchestration we do with Prefect. We implement machine learning algorithms for images and time series analysis. We integrate data and machine learning with scientific computer models.
But, seriously, no need to know all this already – even satellite data is not rocket science and, if you have a sense for it, you can pick up everything from us.
You will be primarily located in our HQ in Hørsholm, Denmark. However, we have a hybrid working model, so you will also be able to work from home.
Our headquarters is located in Hørsholm, about 25 km north of Copenhagen. With the bus stop conveniently located right outside our front door, commuting to our office in Hørsholm from Copenhagen is easy. Whether you are arriving from Nørreport station in just 35 minutes or Amagerbro station in a quick 45 minutes, you will find the commute to be efficient.
How to apply
We would like to get an impression of your talent, personality, and motivation, so you are welcome to keep your application short and anecdotal. Please let us know what you see in this position and what motivates you to seek it. For further information please visit eo.dhigroup.com and dhigroup.com or contact Head of Data Engineering & Software Development, Ilias Pliotas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The application due date is 13 October 2023.
- The estimated start date is as soon as possible.
- Application to be submitted via the relevant job posting on DHI’s website: http://www.dhigroup.com/careers