Senior Product Data Analyst
Do you like working with data and analytics to gain insight to solve problems?
Do you enjoy collaborating across teams to build and deliver products that make a difference?
About our team
Within Research Products, the role of the Product Analytics team is to turn the multitude of data into insights and AB testing opportunities that can be used to build better digital products. Like us, you thrive in a complex data environment. We like getting our hands into the data, focusing on insights which drive actions and product improvements. We extract data and make sense of it using SQL, Python/R, Tableau/Adobe Analytics and quantitative techniques (such as regression, or statistical testing).
About the Role
You will provide analytics thought partnership to our product teams. You will lead new feature and product improvement experimentation to quantify customer and business impact. You will brainstorm, define and calculate metrics to optimize the customer experience by generating insights to drive our products forward. You will collaborate with stakeholders and cross-functional technical teams as part of an embedded team.
How Product Analytics drives customer outcomes
- Define the right metrics. Use your deep knowledge of user behavior to define performance metrics with your stakeholders that align with user success and satisfaction. For new features apply your customer centricity and business knowledge to identify and define the key metrics to evaluate product success. Collaborate with business stakeholders to define product OKRs to ensure we are focusing our efforts effectively.
- Measure performance. Set up dashboards and reports to track performance. Build models to understand product performance and user behavior - ultimately quantifying and communicating these insights through product metrics. Review user experience to ensure that the appropriate tagging and tracking is in place to improve our products. Create product/user funnels to understand and represent user behaviour and engagement with our products. Uncovering opportunities for new features, and collaborating with the Product Manager to define, prototype (& evaluate experiment results) and scale features & solutions.
- Identify and test opportunities for improvements. Grounded in deep analysis of our datasets, generate hypotheses and validate them through online experimentation and AB testing. Then deliver these together with product managers, designers and engineers.
- Support strategic decisions and roadmaps. Innovate and discover new insights by diving deeply into the data, combining various sources (including database and web-analytics data sources) from across the business, to support decisions and resolve strategic questions. Planning and prioritization with Product Managers. Helping them to understand which features could be built, quantify the user and business impact, and communicate these recommendations to senior leadership.
- Advocate Data-driven culture. Communicate insights and information effectively and engagingly, through presentations, reporting and dashboards to all levels of the organization. Advocate for a data-driven culture and help your stakeholders in how to interpret results. Empowering and enabling stakeholders across the business to make embrace the power of data and drive data informed decision making.
- Our Author Success product team to quantify the impact of new feature launches and product improvements through experimentation
- Become an embedded member in the product squads and offer analytics thought partnership and support while exploring new opportunities, evaluating our current product offerings and sizing opportunities
- Partnering with product and business stakeholders to understand the peer review experience. Determining the metrics uncover the customer and business experience and impact. Brainstorm and identify improvement & improvement opportunities.
- Growth Mindset. The right mix of passion, humility, positivity and desire to grow.
- Experience. Experience solving problems with data, collaborating with stakeholders as a data-driven thought partner. Preferred: Experience in product analytics, digital product optimization, A/B testing, and web-analytics. Demonstrable experience in data analysis and insight generation with business impact, incl. building predictive models. Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance.
- Technical skills. Proficiency with SQL and strong understanding of how to use data in solving problems. Preferred: Proficiency with Excel, Powerpoint, scripting (e.g., Python, R), the ability to analyze and combine large data sets in cloud data warehouse services such as Amazon Redshift (or other Postgres DB) and analytics platforms such as Databricks (Apache-Spark).
- Communication & Stakeholder management. Strong communicator and fluent in English (speaking and writing). Ability to communicate the findings and recommendations of analysis in a clear and effective manner at all levels, incl. experience with visual reporting and dashboarding tools (e.g., Tableau). Ability to engage with multiple stakeholders across the wider business. Preferred: Experience working cross culture and department, the ability to collaborate with stakeholders with different perspectives and priorities than yours.
- Education. Bachelor/Master-level degree. Preferred: Degree with quantitative focus (Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, or Economics with a strong analytical/statistical foundation)
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, shared parental leave, study assistance and sabbaticals, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and your long-term goals.
- Working flexible hours - flexing the times when you work in the day to help you fit everything in and work when you are the most productive
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
As a spearhead of good employment practices, your health and wellbeing are of great importance to securing your future. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
- Dutch Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Profit Share Bonus
- Comprehensive Pension Plan
- Home, office or commuting allowance
- Generous vacation entitlement and option for sabbatical leave
- Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Family Care leave
- Flexible working hours
- Personal Choice budget
- Variety of online training courses and career roadshows
- Wellbeing programs and gym facility in the office
- Internal communities and networks
- Various employee discounts
Elsevier helps researchers and healthcare professionals advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. We do this by facilitating insights and critical decision-making for customers across the global research and health ecosystems.
From Elsevier’s Technology function, the Research Products team collaborates across the business to drive impact. Applying customer centricity, product and data best practices, and a passion for we deliver world class customer solutions.
When you work with us, your work matters. You are part of an organization that nurtures your curiosity to stimulate innovation for the communities that we serve.
Growing Every Day
Like the communities we serve, you are on a constant path of discovery to shape your career and personal development.
Colleagues Who Care
You will be part of the Elsevier family. We will support your well-being and provide the flexibility you need to thrive at work and home.
Together, we create possibilities.