Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively.
This position may require an employee to be onsite monthly.
The goal of our team is to work with a wide variety of data and systems, to enable dealership technicians around the globe to successfully program customer vehicles.
At a high level, this is accomplished by working globally and cross-functionally to gather and implement all service programming requirements for each vehicle platform, by comprehending manufacturing data and engineering releases in order to deliver the right content for each unique vehicle, and by working to ensure our customers have the tools and capability to repair and reprogram their vehicles as needed. SPS Engineer Key Responsibilities:
Additional Job DescriptionRequired Qualifications
- Comprehends manufacturing data and engineering releases to deliver the right content for each unique vehicle.
- Research and determine service programming support for assigned vehicles by utilizing corporate databases to obtain information necessary to populate Service Programming System (SPS) database. Some databases include: Manufacturing Engineering Reporting System (MERS) , Engineering Change Management System (ECM), Global Product Description System (GPDS), and Soft Part Release (SPR).
- Information gathering and research from various resources to derive SPS New Vehicle Support Requirements; Sources include MLCRD, PLCRD, Diagnostic Specifications, ASTS.
- Build authoring content for required vehicle systems support of vehicle navigation, communication, programming methods and control functions within SPS
- Work with gathered information and query tools such as SQL to update the Service Programming System (SPS) database with control module data, software and calibrations based on engineering release direction
- Identify and author appropriate pre and post programming instructions to assist technician in completing successful programming event
- Validate vehicle communication and module programming for new vehicle launches
- Development and validation of setup and learn procedures related to service programming
- Work with Data File Release Engineers, Advanced Serviceability of Design Engineers, Brand Quality and other teams to resolve vehicle programming/setup related issues
- Assist Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) in resolving dealership technician reprogramming issues
- Support SPS readiness for product launches, field actions, and EWO actions.
- Prioritize work to meet data delivery schedule
- Support special projects related to Service Programming
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field, or equivalent experience in an analytical or diagnostic position
- High level oral and written communication skills, as well as analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult.
- Strong interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
- Ability to function with limited direction, or in autonomous situations
- Team Player and strong attention to detail.
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES
- Understanding and capability to work with databases and query tools such as SQL and Oracle.
- Strong Knowledge of vehicle systems - working technical knowledge with prior automotive service or engineering experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- General Motors Engineering Release systems (Edge/ECM, GPDS, APM, SPR, etc.). Diagnostic test modes/services and messages used for vehicle diagnostics and reprogramming. Serial data communications and monitoring tools for all vehicle protocols.
: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate's relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility. About GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all. Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team. Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities. Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.