ABOUT TECHNOLOGY @ OPORTUN
Artificial Intelligence and a digital platform are essential to our ability to fulfill Oportun’s financially inclusive mission. The Technology team @ Oportun is dedicated to this mission which we enable by creating, delivering, and maintaining elegant, intuitive, and performant systems to support the needs of our customers and business partners.
We are growing our world-class team of mission-driven, entrepreneurial Data Scientists who are passionate about broadening financial inclusion by untapping insights from non-traditional data. Be part of the team responsible for developing and enhancing Oportun’s core intellectual property used in scoring risk for underbanked consumers that lack a traditional credit bureau score. In this role you will be on the cutting edge working with large and diverse (i.e. data from dozens of sources including transactional, mobile, utility, and other financial services) alternative data sets and utilize machine learning and statistical modeling to build scores and strategies for managing risk, collection, take-up rates and fraud. You will also drive growth and optimize marketing spend across channels by leveraging alternative data to help predict which consumers would likely be interested in Oportun’s affordable, credit building loan product.
- Develop risk, profitability, fraud,and loss mitigation models used to provide affordable credit to serve those who are mis-scored by traditional credit bureaus, nearly half of Oportun’s customers’ do not have a valid FICO score
- Discover insights from a myriad of data sources to understand and influence consumer financial behavior
- Build data pipelines to prepare data for rapid learning in a scalable manner
- Design and build machine learning and data infrastructure by partnering with data and production engineering teams
- Develop new complex features to be used to build next generation of machine learning models by combining techniques and business acumen
- Partner with production engineering team to deploy models, strategies, verification methods
- Communicate and partner with third party data vendors
- Master’s degree or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering or Economics or other quantitative discipline (Bachelors’ degree with significant relevant experience will be considered)
- 5+ years of coding experience using machine learning toolset within Python, SQL, Spark, SAS and/or Scala; 5+ years of experience leveraging machine learning techniques such as Gradient Boosting, Logistic Regression, and Decision Trees, among others
- 5+ years of experience in working on risk based marketing and digital analytics; Preferably in financial services industry
- 5+ years of experience hands-on experiences with data extraction, cleaning, analysis and visualization; experience with non-structural data is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A relentless problem solver, out of the box thinker, and proven track record to drive business results in a timely manner
- Experience working with AWS or other cloud-based platforms
- Experience with HDFS, Hive, Shell script and other big data tools
- Comfortable in a high-growth, fast-paced, agile environment
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is an A.I.-powered digital banking platform that seeks to make financial health effortless for anyone. Driven by a mission to provide inclusive and affordable financial services, Oportun helps its nearly 1.5 million hardworking members meet their daily borrowing, savings, banking, and investing needs. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $12 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2 billion in interest and fees, and automatically helped members set aside more than $7.2 billion for rainy days and other needs. In recognition of its responsibly designed products, Oportun has been certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) since 2009.
With headquarters in California and a remote-first corporate culture, our 3,000+ team members work in Oportun locations and remotely throughout the United States, Mexico, and India. Our global operations include our Mexico contact centers and administrative offices, our India technology development center, and our US corporate, technology, and retail operations.
We are proud to have been named a “Top Workplace” by the Bay Area News Group for three consecutive years, one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World for 2020 and recognized as one of TIME Magazine’s 2018 Genius Companies Reinventing the Future.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups and our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Council.
As a “remote-first” workplace, our team members live, work and collaborate from their homes, remote work locations and our offices and contact centers in the United States, Mexico, and India. No matter our location, we are dedicated to our mission to provide inclusive, affordable financial services that empower our customers to build a better future.