PurposeMed was founded in 2020 with the mission of improving access to complex care for underserved communities. We've grown to over 200 team members in two years, serving hundreds of patients each month, and are continuing to grow rapidly.
Our first brand, Freddie, is focused on improving sexual health through education, prevention and treatment with a focus on the LGBTQ2S+ community—we're now the largest HIV prevention service in Canada! Our second brand, Frida, is focused on improving mental health and happiness through education, diagnosis and treatment. Frida is changing the lives of patients with easier access to adult ADHD diagnosis, and fast and affordable treatment.
We are a C100 Fellow, a member of the Lazaridis Institute, and a certified Great Place to Work® (92% of our employees agree)! Our culture is highly mission-driven; our team is passionate about bringing healthcare to those who need it most. Best of all—we have fun doing it.
Who we hope to find:
We're seeking a highly skilled and motivated Data Engineer to join our growing team. As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining our data pipelines, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for our data warehouse. You should have a strong background in data management and a passion for creative problem-solving. You are comfortable working collaboratively in a fast-paced environment and are able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical team members. If you have a strong understanding of data management principles and the desire to work on impactful projects, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity!
Though we have an office based in Calgary, this is a remote position that is open to candidates across Canada.
In this role, you'll make an impact by:
- Designing and building efficient and reliable data pipelines to support data movement from various sources (e.g., databases, APIs, files, etc.) and transformation processes
- Developing and maintaining data integration and data management processes
- Implementing data quality checks and monitoring processes to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data
- Collaborating with data scientists and analysts to understand their data needs and build data sets to support their work
- Monitoring and optimizing data pipelines for performance and scalability
- Collaborating with the in-house IT team to ensure that data pipelines are secure, scalable, and maintainable
- Troubleshooting and debugging issues with data pipelines and data sets
- Participating in code reviews and contributing to the development of best practices for data engineering within the company
- Staying up-to-date with emerging technologies and best practices in the field of data engineering
We need someone who:
- Has completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a related field (e.g., Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, etc.)
- Has 3+ years of professional, hands-on experience in data engineering
- Is proficient in programming languages such as Python, Java, or Scala
- Has experience with data integration and data management tools (e.g., ETL, ELT, SQL, etc.)
- Has experience with data storage technologies (e.g., databases, data lakes, data warehouses, etc.)
- Has strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Has excellent communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
It would also be great if you:
Do you think you could be our next Data Engineer? We look forward to seeing your application!
- Are proficient in Google BigQuery, Google Cloud Storage, and other GCP data and storage products
- Have experience with Google Cloud Functions, Cloud Composer, and other GCP tools for building and maintaining data pipelines
- Have knowledge of GCP security and compliance best practices, as well as how to apply them to data pipelines
- Have familiarity with GCP's data processing and analytics tools, such as Google Dataproc, Google Cloud Data Fusion, and Google Cloud Data Loss Prevention
- Have knowledge of GCP's machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities, such as Google Cloud AutoML and Google Cloud AI Platform
- Have knowledge of GCP's pricing and billing models, and experience optimizing GCP costs for data pipelines
Why you should join us:
- Be part of a team of great people who don't take themselves too seriously. While we're serious about the problems we solve, we believe in having fun along the way.
- Make an impact, every single day. We're providing compassionate, affirming care to many people who have never received care for their condition before.
- Receive great benefits from your first day of work. We offer plenty of paid time off, a parental leave top-up program, group benefits, learning stipends and other perks.
- Work flexibly, from anywhere across Canada.* We believe that work should fit around your life. We also have an office in Calgary available for anyone in the area!
- Be confident in bringing your whole self to work. Inclusivity is core to how we take care of our patients, our teammates and ourselves. We create spaces that are safe and affirming.
If you are looking for a place that sparks your creativity, helps others, and will push you to be your best, then you'll love PurposeMed.
- Most of our roles are performed virtually from home (in a distributed team environment) across Canada. Team members working onsite at Affirming Care pharmacies do need to be physically present.
PurposeMed is committed to being an equal opportunity employer, so we highly encourage those from excluded and marginalized communities to apply. This includes groups such as (but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities, trans and non-binary, LGBTQIA2S+, disabled, and HIV-positive people. You don't have to check every single box above. If the job description gets you excited and you think you could contribute your expertise to our team—we hope you'll apply!