Position DescriptionPosition Overview:
Harris County Engineering Department (HCED) includes a network of about 700 engineering professionals working together to improve quality of life for residents in the third most populous county in the United States. The Data Analyst is responsible for the full life cycle of data analytics including requirements gathering, analysis design, data collection and cleaning, performing analysis, and reporting findings. The candidate is expected to analyze data using a variety of tools including Python, SQL, Excel, Power BI, ArcGIS and commercial cloud platforms such as Snowflake, AWS as well as Microsoft Power platform (e.g., Power Automate).
Harris County is located in downtown Houston and offers one of the best work-life balance schedules in industry. In addition, we have excellent health, life insurance and pension plan benefits. We also offer the Public Service 'Student' Loan Forgiveness Program and our Professional Licensure Training Program which offers training reimbursement.Job Duties And Responsibilities:
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Collaborate to build scalable processes and metrics
- Extract data from a variety of data sources
- Process, clean, and validate the integrity of data for analysis
- Analyze large amounts of information to find patterns and solutions
- Provide information on analytic results to functional leaders using visualizations including Power BI, ArcGIS etc.
- Present results in a clear manner
- Propose solutions and strategies to tackle business challenges
- Liaison with Business and IT teams
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net .This position is subject to a criminal history check. Only relevant convictions will be considered and, even when considered, may not automatically disqualify the candidate.
- Associate or Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a relevant quantitative field is required
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- 1-3 year work experience in Data Analytics
- Programming Skills – Python and SQL
- Statistics – Good applied statistical skills, including knowledge of statistical tests, distributions, regression etc.
- Data Wrangling – Proficiency in handling imperfections in data
- Analytical and Critical Thinking
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Understanding in database management systems
- Creation of Reports and Dashboards
- Carrying out preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Experience with Data Visualization Tools like Power BI, Tableau, matplotlib
- Problem-solving aptitude
Qualifying education, experience, knowledge, and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. See Resume will not be accepted for qualifications.
- Bachelor or advanced degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a relevant quantitative field
- Development of Geospatial solutions using WebApp Builder, ESRI Applications, Python etc.
- General understanding of engineering and construction terminology and project management
General InformationPosition Type And Typical Hours Of Work:
- Monday through Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM, normally, but also subject to early morning, evening, weekend and Holiday work.
- See County website for holiday information.
- During activation of emergency response efforts, hours may exceed 12 hours a day for consecutive weeks.
- The candidate must have an unrestricted right to work in United States
Employment may be contingent on passing a drug screen and meeting other standards.
- Depends on Qualifications
- Based on 26 pay periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.