The ALICE team is hiring!
We are looking for a Data Scientist with strong analytical and developer skills to join our team to develop industry leading machine learning solutions. Successful candidates will have a strong statistical background, along with several years of experience extracting data insights from ad-hoc data analysis or complex ML modeling to drive business decision making. They should be driven by the desire to translate business problems into data science tasks and build modeling pipelines to solve problems for business partners and stakeholders. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to our open-source package EconML, contribute to research into cutting edge causal inference techniques, and apply them to answer what-if types questions!
ALICE is a project within Microsoft Research New England to direct Artificial Intelligence towards economic decision making. We build tools that combine state-of-the-art machine learning with econometrics to bring automation to economic decision making.
Microsoft Research has a long tradition of work at the intersection of Economics and Computer Science, and this team brings together researchers from across Social Science, Computer Science, and Machine Learning. The Alice project allows us to dramatically scale the success that we’ve had in adapting existing ML technology for economic applications and in developing new deep learning architectures for causal inference. All our research is tied to concrete policy-relevant applications, including work on demand estimation and price optimization, on measuring effectiveness of advertising and sales strategies. The goal is to use AI to improve and democratize economic research while taking from economic theory to push the frontier of AI.
Role and Responsibilities:
- You'll be a member of a cross-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists and researchers.
- Learning new skills rapidly and applying as needed, e.g., learn a new machine learning algorithm from a research paper and implementing it.
- Manipulating and analyzing complex, high-dimensionality data from varying sources to solve difficult problems.
- Developing creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and optimization, and work with Microsoft Partner teams to productionize those algorithms and create impact in production.
- Providing high quality support to all researchers in the lab.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with product teams.
- Ability to effectively work in collaborative multiple project team environment and ship production features in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Operation Research, Computer Science or related field (or the equivalent experience).
- 3+ years of experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing
- 3+ years of experience in applying, implementing, and/or developing algorithms for machine learning, artificial intelligence, or statistics. Academic work experience may be considered
- 1+ years of industry experience with data mining tools such as Python, R, Matlab, SQL
- MS or PhD in Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or equivalent technical field.
- Experience working in an academic research environment
- Experience in large scale data processing like Spark/Hadoop
- The ability to self-teach in new domains.
- Ability to work independently and ramp-up quickly on complex and unfamiliar code.
- Experience with application development practices and version control systems.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and passion to solve real-world problems for enterprises and consumers
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.