Sony Electronics, Inc. look for the risk-takers, the collaborators, the inspired and the inspirational. We want the people who are brave enough to work at the cutting edge and create solutions that will enrich and improve the lives of people across the globe. So, if you want to make the world say wow, let's talk.
In the Research and Development Center’s Business Exploration and Development group, we build engaging, innovative, user focused systems for Sony. Our engineers are helping to bring to life some of our next generation ideas. We are focused on finding a flexible engineer who will be responsible for helping to develop software prototypes, creating/finding/manipulating data, researching current SOTA ML, and modifying and applying ML to customer problems to help Sony’s visual sensor product family.
Responsibilities will include understanding customer problems, developing hypotheses, determining a technical course of action, investigating and utilizing industry/academic research, acquiring necessary data, building the prototype, and assisting the demonstration to internal stakeholders and customers.
Our goal is to take these learnings, iterate/pivot as needed, and help drive the business ideas forward.
- Research and assess current technologies and state-of-the-art industry/academic research
- Work on new concepts and follow them from initial design through delivery
- Submission of intellectual property
- Contribute to project strategic decision-making
- Leading data acquisition process to produce the necessary ground-truth data to support the project
- Collaborating on writing software to facilitate the customer demonstration and hypothesis validation
- Submission of intellectual property for patent invention process
- Prepare periodic reports for stakeholder/management reviews
- Travel to visit project counterparts and customers as needed
- PhD in Computer Science (Machine Learning specialty/research) or a related quantitative field with with 10+ years of related research/industry experience, or MS in Computer Science (Machine Learning) or a related quantitative field with at least 20 years of related experience including in building ML models.
- Experience with end-to-end ML implementation including data pre-processing, transfer learning, feature engineering and tuning of ML models during training and deployment.
- Significant research/implementation background in the speech recognition/understanding areas of machine learning (ASR/NLU/NMT).
- Background in areas around image localization, segmentation, recognition, and generation techniques.
- Solid background in linear algebra, calculus, and probability theory and foundations of machine learning.
- Expert knowledge in working with one or more of these tools: Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras
- Strong programming skills in scripting languages such as Python
- Experience in working with numpy, scipy, and scikit-learn
- Effective communication and data presentation skills
- Track record of working in teams and leading/collaborating on projects
- All candidates must be authorized to work in USA
- Experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
- Experience deploying ML models onto embedded hardware and optimizing for limited resources
- Experience on a broad set of ML approaches and techniques, ranging from Generative Adversarial Networks, Recursive Neural Network (e.g. LSTMs), etc.
- Experience with weakly-supervised learning problems (incomplete, inaccurate, or inexact supervision)
- Achievements in competitions such as Kaggle, ILSVRC, or WMT is a strong plus
- Peer reviewed scientific contributions in a relevant field, ideally with a publication record at conferences (ICML, ICLR, NIPS, KDD, IJCAI, AAAI, etc.)
Sony Electronics is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values employees with a broad cross-cultural perspective. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. All applicants will receive fair and impartial treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or on any other basis which is protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Disability Accommodation for Applicants to Sony Electronics, Inc.
Sony Electronics, Inc. provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. For reasonable accommodation requests, please contact us by email at email@example.com , or you can mail your resume to: Sony Electronics, Human Resources Department, 16535 Via Esprillo, San Diego CA 92127. Please indicate the position you are applying for.