The Data Engineer is responsible for all aspects of data procurement in support of a critical enterprise application. Functions may include database architecture, engineering, design, optimization, security, and administration; as well as data modeling, Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) development, storage engineering, data warehousing, data provisioning and other similar roles.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.Primary Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain scalable data pipelines and build out integrations to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity.
- Collaborate with cross application and cross organization teams to maintain and improve data models and data acquisition that drive critical functionality within our Stepwise Application and downstream processes.
- Perform needs assessments and implement processes and systems to monitor data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available.
- Analyze current business practices, processes and procedures as well as identify future business opportunities for leveraging data storage and retrieval system capabilities
- Design schemas, write SQL or other data markup scripting
- Define data models and SQL jobs to populate data models.
- Design data integrations and data quality framework.
- Write unit/integration tests and document work.
- Perform data and process analysis required to troubleshoot data related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues.
- Work closely with a team of developers, product managers, and analysts.
- Works closely with all business units and development teams to develop strategy for long term data platform architecture.
- Develop and maintain methods of data export leveraging JSON and XML
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements to address business & technical risk: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.Required Qualifications:
- BS or MS degree with preference in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- 4+ years of SQL experience
- 4+ years of experience with schema design
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining data processing systems
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Process oriented with great documentation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of customer service
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual.
- Experience working in the Health Care Industry (commercial and group business lines)
- Experience working in the Insurance Industry
- Knowledge and experience with dimensional data models
- Knowledge and experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with stream-processing systems
We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
- All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy