Lead Data Engineer
£55,000 - £75,000 plus excellent benefits (Work Level 4)
2 year fixed term contract
Manchester city centre
We’re now working in a hybrid way, with colleagues dividing their time between home/remote working and the office. You can find out more about our hybrid working policy at colleagues.coop.co.uk/hybrid-working-policy
We're looking for a lead data engineer to join our team and help us build modern data platforms at Co-op. We’ll look to you to help engineer innovative data solutions that enable our business leaders to make informed decisions, and help boost our CRM activity. We’re at the forefront of data technology here at Co-op, and this is an exciting opportunity to be a part of our journey.
As a lead data engineer, you’ll work with a range of teams across our data centre of excellence including data science, analytics, insight, data governance and business intelligence. You’ll be working with a team of data engineers, but we’ll need your strong technical experience to help us explore new and innovative approaches within a solid CI/CD environment. If you can bring us the leadership skills and technical knowledge that we’re after, we can offer you the chance to develop your career in a business that’s using data to make a real difference.
What you’ll do
- work closely with colleagues in different business areas to understand their short and long-term needs, helping to design solutions that both deliver immediate value as well as long-term benefits
- coach, mentor and support the development of our engineers across our data squads,
- get hands-on involved in crafting bespoke data solutions for different business areas, particularly within retail data
- manage and optimise the release processes, championing CI/CD and DevOps
- work closely with the data engineering leadership teams to empower, inspire and drive standard methodologies across different data technologies, finding new ways to solve emerging problems
This role would suit people who have
- significant experience working with the Azure stack (Data Factory, Data Lake, Databricks as a minimum)
- proven experience working with modern data warehouses
- strong PySpark, SQL and Python skills, and solid experience coding in these languages
- demonstrable experience establishing coding practices and standards in a CI/CD environment
- proven development lifecycle practices and data modelling experience
- great leadership skills, with experience leading, mentoring and developing a team
- a future-focused approach, with knowledge of new and emerging technologies and how we can use these to solve modern business problems
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
- competitive salary
- coaching, training and support to help you develop
- pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- annual incentive scheme
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
- discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.