Use your data skills to work on the most important challenge of our time: supporting the world to a net zero carbon society
Climact is an independent energy & climate company, using models and data to drive down carbon emissions for both private and public organisations. We develop sophisticated, user-friendly and open-source models on the energy and climate systems at the global, national and city levels - and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. We're looking for enthusiastic new colleagues to join us at a period of rapid growth, to be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change with our asset-based consulting. Models can truly support the energy transition. The whole Climact team is focused on leveraging them towards climate action. See examples of our work at www.climact.com and LinkedIn.
Climact is recruiting a talented data engineer who will support the development of our existing tools with the rest of the technical team. Climact's vision is to be able to provide top notch modelling of the energy system based on open-source models and data, and to be able to leverage these assets for our consulting practices, supporting both public and private actors towards a carbon-free energy system. The technical team is growing as we expand our current models to more countries to cover all major economies, and also expanding the type of analysis and services we can provide (e.g., the impact on power and gas networks at the European level, minerals, air quality, water use). Your role will be to support the increasing role and quantity of data in our models.
The current Climact technical team will give you valuable support to complement your technical competency with programming and data, leveraging your ability to impact. The role will report to this technical team and the wider management.
Role and responsibilities
The new position, within the technical team, includes the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of existing tools (e.g. Pathways Explorer, EUCityCalc, EUCalc, My2050)
- Orchestrate and automate existing ETL pipelines
- Distribute data through API
- Manage related infrastructure (including cloud infrastructure and database)
- Automate release process of existing tools
- Contribute to the data science and some architectural design on various programming tools, in co-creation with the energy and climate consultants
- Contribute to developing analytics and data science expertise on Climact consulting engagements
Potential applicants should present the following experience and skills:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong sense of creativity and autonomy
- Engineering and/or IT degree.
- Ambition to contribute to the climate change challenge through energy models which help objectify the debate.
- Strong Python programming skills
- Version control knowledge (Git)
- 2 years of relevant experience in programming/modelling/architecture design is an asset
- Technical experience in the following is an asset:
- ETL pipeline
- Knowledge of database management and SQL
- Cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS)
- Containerization (e.g. Docker)
- REST API
- Workflow orchestration
- DevOps and CI/CD
- Optimisation (pre-running of code components, storage vs speed optimisation, complexity of operations)
- Capability to harmonise best practices
- Good communication skills (EN & FR or NL)
- Ambition to evolve and grow in programming, modelling, and architecture within Climact
- We offer a full-time position with a competitive salary package.
- Mobility solutions are provided.
- Telecommunication tools and flexible home teleworking available.
- Offices in Brussels and Louvain-la-Neuve.
- Customers can be in Belgium and Europe; some (limited) travelling may be necessary.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and diversity of our workforce. Our recruiting process includes discussions and potential analytics, data science & consulting cases interviews.
To apply for this position please follow the link : Data engineer
Only applications received via this link will be processed. Thank you