Nubank was founded in 2013 to free people from a bureaucratic, slow and inefficient financial system. Since then, through innovative technology and outstanding customer service, the company has been redefining people's relationships with money across Latin America. With operations in Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia, Nubank is today one of the largest digital banking platforms and technology-leading companies in the world.
Today, Nubank is a global company, with offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexico City (Mexico), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogotá (Colombia), Durham (United States), and Berlin (Germany). It was founded in 2013 in Sao Paulo, by Colombian David Vélez, and cofounded by Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. For more information, visit www.nubank.com.br.
Our Data Science Team at Nubank
At Nubank, we aim to empower our customers to take control of their financial lives. The Data Science team develops models and leverages its expertise to provide the best experience and products, using statistics, Artificial Intelligence, and lots of creativity to predict our customers' behaviors. Our team strives for cutting edge model development techniques, from Machine Learning to Reinforcement Learning and beyond. We're partnering with business and technology to make the speed of thought decisions possible.
As a chapter, we identified a set of principles that guide behaviors we admire in each other and we pursue as a team:
- Diverse ensembles don't overfit;
- We reinforce each other's learning;
- Mind the person behind the data point;
- We share the same objective function;
- We trust our confidence interval;
- Pursue global maxima.
How We Work
- Create thousands of new predictive variables using your intuition, sociological insight and automation techniques;
- Discover and evaluate the usefulness of new data sources;
- Automate the creation of hundreds of different machine learning models;
- Find the most best audience for our products;
- Underwrite and assign client profile to applicants;
- Thwart identity theft and credit card transaction fraud;
At Nubank we don't shy away from using the latest and greatest machine learning algorithms and techniques; in fact, we encourage them. We have a rich dataset with natural language text, images, graphs, and much more, as well as more traditional sources of financial data. We also have an almost endless set of models to build, including everything from credit scoring to text tagging.
You will fit well if you:
- Are able to build modern machine learning models using Python;
- Have experience integrating models into data pipelines and decision-making infrastructures using Scala and Spark;
- Are curious and always looking for ways to improve what has been done;
- Have solid knowledge gathering and cleaning data to make analysis and models;
- Have an excellent ability to interact with a multifunction and multidisciplinary team;
- Are a fast learner who looks forward to work in a fast pace environment;
- Advocate for a data-driven culture;
- Are able to effectively communicate in English.
How We Work
We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that can make their own decision without unnecessary centralization, that's why we work in an agile methodology and are organized in several squads across the company. We know that executing is the key to being able to optimize processes and to reach success, so that's what we build our work model around.
Our team strives for cutting edge model development practices, which currently includes a variety of different technologies. While we value candidates that are familiar with the tools we use here, we are also confident that Data Scientists with good knowledge of other technologies and that want to join Nubank will be able to learn from our team.
- NuCare - Our mental health and wellness assistance program
- Vacations of 15 workdays
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Extended maternity and paternity leaves
- Chance of earning equity at Nubank
- Interviewing and onboarding are currently done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team and our current staff will remain working from home until it is safe to return to our offices. If/when relocation is required, we have a team dedicated to global mobility and have partnered up with the best companies in the market to make sure processes run smoothly. We also offer a very competitive relocation package for international hires.