Skip the Dishes, 136 Market Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Req #105
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
We’re revolutionizing the way humanity eats, and there’s a lot of room for optimization and growth. That’s where you come in. Your ingenuity will help us continue to drive innovation, making an impact on the reliability, performance, and scalability of Skip’s industry-leading technology.
The Data Scientist for the Winnipeg team will be responsible for delivering high quality data science models as part of a team working on a variety of supply and demand balancing problems, as well as logistical challenges around optimizing a profitable service.
You will be part of an established team of data scientists with experience in these areas, and work closely with multiple teams, from product to technology teams, collaborating and building the next generation of algorithms that will scale our business.
This role will require interfacing with different teams working under sharp production deadlines. You will take part in the product development cycle shaping cutting edge solutions, while mentored by a Lead Data Scientist and some of the most experienced leads in the market.
Being part of the team, means that you will work in an Agile environment, having constant interaction with the team, stand-ups and many peer-reviews where we will help you perfect your models and solutions from end-to-end. Therefore, ensuring an effective deployment and being comfortable analyzing, troubleshooting and explaining why & how your solution works are key to this role.
What’s On Your Plate:
We run a smart logistic system that auto-schedules and optimizes itself to provide the best service experience. In any of the countries we run, we recommend customers the best food, with the best restaurants that are aware of their preferences and habits. We like to be transparent, so we run live updates on where their food is located and when it is going to arrive. We are dedicated to providing the best experience to our customers.
If you are passionate about logistics, optimization and Food, come and join us!
Recipe for Success:
- MS degree / PhD degree in a quantitative discipline (eg. CS, Stats, physics)
- Demonstrable relevant working experience
- Applied experience with machine learning, data science, and solving problems at scale
- Ability to communicate business outcomes and recommendations from analysis verbally and written, ability to present results coherently
- Ability to develop confidently in Python as the majority of our team is using it. We need people with a passion for software, who can read and understand complicated codebases.
- Confident in extracting and manipulating data from our various SQL and NoSQL data stores and storage frameworks
- Practical experience with Multivariate forecasting, optimization, online training
- Experience working on a Logistics project
- Experience working with pricing algorithms
- Experience in retail in similar markets to SkipTheDishes
- Experience working in agile teams, with code reviews and source control
- Comfortable with big data stores (Google BigQuery, Amazon Datastores) and tools (including dynamoDB, elasticsearch, S3, SQS, Kinesis) or Spark / Storm / Hadoop / Kafka or Neo4
How We Work:
- We take ownership of our work and work closely with our team
- We move quickly, take risks, and know how to manage the risks
- Regularly refactoring to improve our existing systems — technical debt isn’t an excuse
- Unit tests and code reviews are at our core — confidence in our pull request is the result
- We constantly push our Data technology, design, and architecture forward to meet new challenges
- We face challenges no one can predict — we meet them head-on as a team
- When we have an idea that serves a need, we run with it
- Our teams are kept tight and efficient
What It's Like to work At Skip:
Picture this: You, dressed in your fave casual attire, amongst a diverse team of friendly and passionate colleagues. Where we work to make sure all voices are heard, all differences valued, all people treated fairly. You take pride in knowing your input and uniqueness are not only embraced but make an impact on a national food delivery platform with deep Canadian roots and its satisfied customers.
As the company grows, so do you — not only do you meet and surpass new challenges every day, but you have the opportunity to get involved, making a real difference in your and Skip’s future. With committees like Skip’s BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) Network and Women In Tech alongside our CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) work with organizations like Pride and United Way Winnipeg, you have the opportunity for not only your voice to be heard but for your actions to make an impact, joining a cause that you’re passionate about.
That’s just a small taste of what it’s like to work at one of Canada’s leading tech companies. If you’re hungry for opportunity, growth, and something meaningful in a dynamic environment, we’d love to hear from you.
Skip The Dishes is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment activities and will work with all applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Note: All employees will be asked to sign a Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information in order to complete a background check. Job offers will be conditional upon results that the Company determines to be satisfactory.