- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Strong grasp of SQL and at least one scripting or programming language such as Python or Scala.
- 8+ years of experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, data modeling, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures and hands-on SQL coding.
- Understand how to design, implement, and maintain a platform providing secured access to large datasets.
- Experience developing data visualization and reporting with tools such as Amazon QuickSight, Metabase, Tableau, or similar software
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services – paying as you go for only the resources you need. Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. They can launch a fully operational service with a few clicks for as low as under $1000 per terabyte per year. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
As a Sr. Data engineer on this team, you will be a technical leader in our team, and own the technical architecture of our BI and Data platforms. You will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You will work closely with the business and technical teams in analysis on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative-problem solving to deliver actionable output.
A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and an ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.In this role, you will have responsibility for:
- Designing, developing, troubleshooting, evaluating, deploying, and documenting data management and business intelligence systems, enabling stakeholders to manage the business and make effective decisions.
- Building robust pipelines for the continuous and non-intrusive collection of system data from our fleet, and ensuring that the data is consistent and reliable.
- Working with software team in understanding the business requirements and implementing solutions to support analytical and reporting needs.
- Identifying trends and anomalies in the fleet data to build monitoring systems and automated processes to optimize system performance and manage failures.
- Reviewing and participating in testing of the data design, tool design, data extracts/transforms, networks and hardware selections
- Knowledge of data management fundamentals, distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
- Experience in design and optimization of data-processing systems using AWS services (S3, CloudWatch, Redshift)
- Proven history of providing high quality code reviews and technical mentorship of colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and develop productive working relationships with dependent teams
- Proven analytical and quantitative ability and a passion for enabling customers to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop business cases, and complete root cause analyses.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to effectively lead and influence interactions with both business and technical teams, as well as produce detailed documentation for technical systems.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities
who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.