Contract, Calgary, AB or Toronto, ON
Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit for excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding; however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title and tenure.
Mawer is seeking a Data Analyst with experience in the investment management industry to focus on our data quality (DQ) efforts. The successful applicant will be responsible for managing our data quality framework, standards, reporting and remediation, and drive consistency in the use and application of data quality best practices and standards across the firm. The Data Analyst will also help with other data governance initiatives, including data cataloguing and lineage.
The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented with a passion for diving deep into data, understanding its value to the business, and able to communicate issues and concerns with all stakeholders.
This is a one-year contract position reporting to the Head, Project Management Office and Data Governance.
- Work with Data Stewards and others to discover and develop DQ requirements and rules
- Establish, maintain, and promote DQ reports and dashboards for business consumption
- Monitor and report data quality metrics and trends to Data Stewards and Business Data Owners
- Work with project managers for incorporating data quality processes in project life cycles
- Conduct profiling and rule development activities
- Schedule/run rules manually or via scripts
- Establish and maintain standards for DQ rules naming conventions
- Establish and maintain processes for profiling, rule development and execution, monitoring and remediation
Education, Skills & QualificationsMandatory
- Passion for data and data management
- Driven by excellence and continuous learning
- Strong understanding of and 3+ years experience in the investment management industry
- Proficiency in SQL, preferably with SQL Server
- Understanding of data modelling, architecture, and data warehousing
- Understanding of data discovery and data description processes
- Strong ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Strong ability to collaborate between teams, and a solid understanding of (or experience in) being part of a high performing team
- Post-secondary education in business/commerce, computer science, finance, or a related discipline
- Proficiency in SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, and/or Power BI
- Experience in Business Analysis
- Experience with SimCorp Dimension
- Experience with Data Quality tools
- Experience with Data Lineage tools, ideally Octopai
- Experience with Metadata tools, ideally Azure Data Catalog
- Understanding of technical, business, and process documentation
- Understanding of SDLC methodologies, including Waterfall/Agile/Scrum/Kanban
- Understanding of investment management market data and vendors
- Candidacy in (or completion of) the CFA Program
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager.
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results and the highest levels of client satisfaction (our client retention is 99%).
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy. At Mawer, talented individuals can progress quickly, regardless of tenure or experience.
- We have a unique culture—one that emphasizes integrity, clients’ interests, excellence, teamwork, and long-term thinking.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides world-class, global investment management services across all major asset classes to a broad range of institutional and individual clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms and strive to earn such respect by continually delivering long-term investment excellence, developing strong client partnerships, and living our core values. Mawer currently manages approximately $78 billion in assets and employs over 200 people in Calgary, Toronto, the U.S., and Singapore.
Please submit your résumé and cover letter by March 31, 2021. Only applications that include all required materials will be considered.
No telephone inquiries please.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.