We are seeking to recruit a passionate Junior Data Engineer to help us to develop the solutions for the world’s key cancer genomics resource, in COSMIC (Catalogue of Somatic Mutations of Cancer). We welcome anyone who has a computer science or bioinformatics background to join us on this opportunity to work in cancer genomics. You will be helping us in the exciting projects, to implement tools and processes on cloud environments.
COSMIC is the key information source in global human cancer research. We exist to speed up the field of precision oncology so that every cancer journey can be tailored, accurate, and precise. We do this by streamlining and simplifying genomics data analysis for better prevention, diagnosis, and treatment research.
To achieve our vision, we're growing rapidly in content, scope and value. This role is due to the evolution and expansion of our massive biological datasets and products to enable this growth. We make a real difference to scientific research and to cancer patients around the world. Data is currently gathered from a variety of sources, from manual curation to structured repositories, and standardised into the COSMIC database before release via our analytic website. This genetic and genomic data is increasing in quantity and scope, its value is enhanced by analytic highlights, and this position will improve the handling, annotation, meaningful presentation and user access of this information. More specifically to this role, we provide excellent opportunities to apply best practises in software development, writing clean code, and taking a test-driven development approach.
- You will support the development of new automated pipelines and workflows for data curation and release of COSMIC products.
- Participate in developing solutions for storage and production pipeline of vast genomic data on cloud environment.
- Contribute to maintaining and supporting the automatic pipelines and workflows on cloud platforms.
You do not need to have any biological background but must show enthusiasm to learn different genomic datasets in cancer genomics. You must be a good communicator and able to understand the goals and aims of the collaborative COSMIC team and its customers of researchers, scientists and clinicians, globally. You will have experience in developing software and analytical tools across large datasets, ensuring throughput and quality.
- Degree or equivalent experience in Software development or Computer Science
- Good experience in at least one modern programming language, preferably Python or PERL
- Experience in one or more scripting languages
- Experience working with databases and knowledge of SQL language
Personal Skills and Behaviours:
- A demonstrable, enthusiastic, can-do, learn, proactive attitude
- Enthusiasm, commitment and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise activities and manage the own workload independently
- Ability to explain technical issues effectively and understandably to non-technical users
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to quickly understand scientific and technical challenges
Please apply with your CV and a Cover Letter outlining how you meet the criteria set out above and in the job description.
Our hybrid working environment means you can focus on being productive and part of the team while enjoying the benefits of the Genome Campus when you are on site.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.