Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We’re the company behind the world’s fastest satellite internet service, with technology that’s helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
We’re looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team and connect the world to more. You’ll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning, and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world’s first truly global Internet Service Provider. Interested in joining our mission? Take a look at career opportunities at Viasat today.
We employ the latest technologies (Spark, Kafka, Impala, Hadoop) to analyze the Petabytes of data our operational systems produce. We employ developers, data scientists, and engineers to gain insight; solving both business and technical problems. Our innovative solutions are a result of the diversity of our team.
As a team member, you'll build a breadth of knowledge including software development, distributed systems, machine learning, and data science. You will design, develop, and deploy systems to solve analytics questions across multiple business areas and disciplines.
Our Ideal Candidate
We value curiosity, learning, and adaptability. Our ideal candidate loves solving tough problems using data.
In this position, you will:
- Design and build big data collection & storage systems
- Design and build analytic tools
- A BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, Math, Physics or related field
- Familiar with common data engineering programming languages, including Python, Java, Scala, C/C++
- Familiar with any scripting language such as Python, Ruby, BASH, etc.
- Experience working in a Linux environment and usage of common tools
- Experience designing highly scaled systems
- Experience developing with Python visualization libraries (e.g: Bokeh, Plotly, Matplotlib, Seaborn, etc.)
- Demonstrated data analytics and data visualization best practices
- Travel up to 10%
- Experience with Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Kafka, Impala, or other big data technologies
- Familiarity with RDBMS technologies (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Understanding of distributed and parallel computing architectures
- Experience with modern DevOps toolchains, including Ansible
- Experience building highly-available, API-driven web services before (Node.js, Angular.js, d3)
- Ability to interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques
- Develop and implement data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
- Telecommunication engineering background or experience
- Experience in working with virtual team
- 3-5 years of development experience