South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Digital & Data Science team helps our clients and South Pole design and execute the most ambitious and scalable climate impact initiatives whilst reducing the administrative effort to zero. Our unique track record of running projects across the globe and delivering verified, high quality carbon credits provides us with valuable data we can leverage to identify new, high impact initiatives. We help companies on a day-to-day basis to drive their carbon neutral strategies with their customers, suppliers and their employees through analytics and sustainability software solutions. If you have the skills, ambition and drive to use the best of digital and AI to protect ecosystems, restore forests, drive sustainable agriculture, and enable climate zero journeys across the globe then please apply or register your interest now!
As part of the Digital Innovation team, you will drive ongoing development, improvement and integration of artificial intelligence (AI) into our digital Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems and forecasting processes and other software services. With strict requirements for the accuracy and scalability of our models, you will design AI pipelines that support effective integration and deployment of the latest remote sensing technologies and models to scale digital MRV for our global nature-based solution (NBS) projects.
Examples of our current work in this field include estimating the reduction of CH4 emissions for rice cultivation and monitoring the impacts of reducing deforestation and forest degradation on carbon stocks.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Develop new algorithms and implement scalable Python modules for efficient reading and writing of large amounts of geo, climate and satellite data as well as their analysis in Python;
- Set the standard for properly bringing our data pipelines and models to production;
- Support the development of our digital innovations from proof-of-concepts to scalable software;
- Contribute to the development of team members and colleagues in the latest technologies and applications of AI in Sustainability.
- Good knowledge of scaling-up machine learning and AI technologies using large amounts of earth observation data, with a focus on Python and its data science libraries (xarray, dask, geopandas, pyspark and many more);
- 2+ years work experience in capturing value from state-of-the-art machine learning and AI technologies in a business context;
- 2+ years work experience with MLOps, productionalizing machine learning models in a cloud environment;
- Thirst for knowledge and the will to find elegant solutions for complex questions;
- Very good spoken and written English skills;
- Completed degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, engineering, environmental sciences or similar.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal stakeholders from our different practices and business lines;
- Experience in or passion for environmental issues and understanding of sustainability, CSR and related topics;
- Business acumen leading to effectively translating business opportunities into tangible models and suggesting useable predictions and insights improving our business and that of our customers;
- Good presentation skills with the ability to present highly technical topics with a non-technical audience
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.