The Data Engineer contributes to the development and improvement of data acquisition, usage and distribution through developing data pipelines and applying data governance, and data visualisation techniques, working alongside data science, product management, software engineering, and the marketing team.
In order to expand and capitalise on these data opportunities within Shell Energy, the Data Engineer will operationalise data pipelines and data products in scalable cloud environments.Responsibilities
We’d love to hear from you if:
- Work as part of a team of data engineers, specialists and software engineers to streamline and automate the management & control of data for analytical processes;
- Proactively develop and improve the data engineering capability;
- Build the infrastructure required to support data pipelines across a wide variety of data sources using Python and AWS ‘big data’ technologies;
- SQL knowledge preferred;
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs;
- Develop a strong understanding of strategic business initiatives and apply your expertise in Data Engineering for translating new requirements into scalable and sustainable data solutions;
- Provide subject matter expertise with data management technologies to constantly challenge and improve the solutions by adding new capabilities, enhancing performance or improving robustness and solution availability;
- Own the designs and implementations of data pipelines, data catalogues, data models and data controls, and advise on good practices for operating at scale;
- Responsible for operationally supporting data management tools and data solutions;
- Ensure flawless execution and timely delivery of all work;
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements;
- Work with data scientists to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
You have experience in a similar role and knowledge of the electricity market, together with the following:
About Shell Energy in Australia
- Experience in data architecture, data integration and data manipulation at scale.;
- You are comfortable being responsible for continuous deployment, operation, and monitoring of your data solutions and their infrastructure;
- Hands-on, proficient experience with programming in Python and; working with business intelligence and visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI);
- Strong technical proficiency in SQL, NoSQL and experience working with queues & event streams;
- Strong experience with Windows, Linux, Unix environments and with a variety of database technologies;
- Knowledge of complexities and challenges with ETL/ELT solutions and data flow processes;
- Experience within the AWS Cloud environment with data services such as AWS S3, AWS EC2, AWS Kinesis, AWS Glue, AWS Athena and products such as Snowflake and Matillion;
- Practical experience building data pipelines and implementing data controls for Business and IT operations and solutions that integrate with digital products and operate within a hybrid Cloud environment;
- Ability to present and communicate complex technical issues to a variety of audiences including senior management;
- Developed business acumen along with a curiosity of the bigger picture, and how your work contributes to it;
- Degree in computer science or related discipline.
Shell Energy is Australia’s largest dedicated supplier of business electricity. We deliver business energy solutions and innovation across a portfolio of gas, electricity, environmental products and energy productivity for commercial and industrial customers. We are the second largest electricity provider to commercial and industrial businesses in Australia1, we offer integrated solutions and market-leading2 customer satisfaction, built on industry expertise and personalised relationships. This has afforded us a ranking of number 1 in customer satisfaction in business electrical retailers for 10 years running, something that we are immensely proud of and aim to achieve in the future. We also operate 662 megawatts of gas-fired peaking power stations in Western Australia and Queensland, supporting the transition to renewables, and are currently developing the 120-megawatt Gangarri solar energy development in Queensland.
By embracing confidence, team spirit, and contribution, we generate fresh thinking, creativity and nimble execution to give us the edge in an ever-changing market. We ask, ‘what’s next?’ for ourselves and for our industry, always on the lookout for opportunities for our customers, our business, and our people.
1 By load, based on Shell Energy analysis of publicly available data
2Utility Market Intelligence (UMI) survey of commercial and industrial electricity customers of major electricity retailers by research company NTF Group, October 2020What sets us apart from the rest?
At Shell Energy we really value our culture and the way we work together to get stuff done. The work environment is Agile and fast-paced, with a strong emphasis on outcomes. We also offer employees a great range of benefits including:
How to Apply
- An attractive incentive program;
- Generous leave benefits; and not limited too additional annual leave, flexi leave and extra public holidays over and above the standard;
- Flexible and supportive ways of working with state of the art technology and facilities.
Click ‘APPLY’ below to submit your resume and cover letter outlining why you would be suitable for this position. To request a copy of the Position Description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, head to our website shellenergy.com.au or take a look at this short video https://youtu.be/7foCXeLxPOY.Shell Energy is an equal opportunity employer who recognises the value in having a diverse workforce. We strive to create an inclusive environment for all employees. Should you wish to have a conversation about what makes Shell Energy a great place to work or for more information about this opportunity, please email email@example.com and a member of our HR team will reach out to you. Please detail in the email the reason for your enquiry and/or which opportunity you are interested in.Recruitment Agencies please note: this recruitment assignment is being managed directly by the Shell Energy Human Resources team. We will reach out to our preferred agency partners if required. Your respect for this process is appreciated.