The University of Newcastle is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to all staff
- Unique opportunity to work across all Academic Excellence projects
- Join a team that recommends actions to optimise the University’s performance
- Convert data into compelling & sophisticated visualisations & dashboards
Join the Academic Excellence team within the Vice-Chancellor’s Division and be an integral part of providing strategic insights, drawn from qualitative and quantitative methods, and recommend actions to optimise the University’s performance on rankings, government initiatives and strategic priorities. Share the University’s values of excellence, equity, engagement and sustainability, and help the University achieve their Looking Ahead Strategic Plan 2020-2025, which outlines the University’s commitment to delivering an exceptional student experience and serving our communities.
This is a unique opportunity to work as part of a team that has organisational impact and provides important advice to the Vice-Chancellor and Executive Leadership team. Reporting to the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic Excellence), the Data Scientist and Analyst utilises their coding skills to be able to source data, works with a range of University databases and systems and writes code to interrogate the database to pull required data.
Other role responsibilities in this newly created position include:
- Using data-driven techniques for solving business problems.
- Spotting trends, patterns and relationships within data.
- Devising and applying models and algorithms for mining/collecting big data.
- Converting data into compelling and sophisticated visualisations and creating user specific dashboards.
- Planning, coordinating and managing large-scale data projects, from inception to completion.
- Building and fostering positive working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to enable the flow of business information and the successful delivery of strategic projects.
We are seeking a person with a passion for all things data analysis, someone who has exceptional knowledge of statistical approaches to the analysis of data, data mining and data modelling, and experience in using software/tools/languages. You will have demonstrated experience in managing projects and working on large statistical, structured and unstructured data-sets; devising and applying algorithms and modelling data; and providing strategic advice as input for decision making and process improvement. You have good communication skills and are comfortable working as part of a team or independently. A PhD and 3 years of hands-on data science experience are highly desirable.
This is an ongoing, full-time position, based at the Callaghan Campus.
HEW Level 8 – from $102,667, plus 17% superannuation.
For additional information on the position, please contact Professor Jennifer Milam, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic Excellence) on (02) 4921 7700 or via email Jennifer.email@example.com
Additional information on benefits and conditions of employment is available via these links;
Let’s create this future together. Here’s how to join:
Click on 'Apply for this job'. Your application will be assessed on essential criteria. Read all information about the role so you understand what is required.
Submitting your application – to apply for this vacancy, your application must include (please provide in a single document - PDF preferred):
- a statement addressing the Essential Criteria included within the Position Description (maximum of 3 pages); and
- your CV with contact details for three relevant referees.
If you have any difficulties uploading your application please telephone HR Services (+61 2) 4033 9999 - and press 2- during business hours (AEST) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A full Position Description can be found here.
Closing date: 11:59 pm on Sunday, 24 October 2021
We are excited to be Looking Ahead with you