No other bank is doing what we do.
At BDC, we’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here and we think you’ll like it too.
BDC is looking for bright, knowledgeable and motivated Senior Data Scientists experienced with the state-of-the-art (SOTA) Machine Learning (ML), Deep Learning (DL), and big data architectures.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be working within the AAAI team and contribute to enterprise-wide best practices, processes and platforms for BDC's AAAI strategy.
The bulk of the work will be in framing the problem, data exploration and preparation, statistical hypothesis testing, feature engineering, modelling, model fine-tuning, storytelling with data, operationalization and model tracking.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Accessing, profiling, and analyzing various relational databases, datalake (HDFS), unstructured data (files, images), NoSQL or graph databases
- Applying statistical analysis and visualization techniques to various data, such as hierarchical clustering, t-distributed Stochastic Neighbor Embedding (t-SNE), LLE, EM, Ward, and PCA
- Generating hypotheses about the underlying mechanics of the business process
- Testing hypotheses using various quantitative methods
- Networking with business subject matter experts, product owners and product managers to better understand the business mechanics that generated the data
- Analysis of the data through descriptive, exploratory, inferential, and causal techniques
- Preparation of the data through standardization, normalization, imputation, cleansing, outlier detection, and formatting
- Engineering features for continuous and discrete data utilizing domain knowledge and statistical techniques
- Applying various ML, DL, Reinforcement Learning (RL) and Advanced Analytics techniques to create supervised, semi-supervised, self-supervised, and unsupervised models
- Evaluation and testing of AI models through cross-validation, A/B testing, bias and fairness evaluation, and Explainability / interpretability
- Utilizing SOTA methods in ML and DL to achieve the superior model performance
- Implementing novel deep learning architectures and employing the Neural Architecture Search (NAS), and Meta Learning techniques
- Contribution to the bdcML (BDC’s Machine Learning Framework) and AAAI best practices for AAAI Trust & Transparency, AAAI Lifecycle Management, Data Science, ML Engineering, MLOps Engineering, and Data Leverage through partnerships and economy
- Collaboration with the Data Product Manager, Data Analysts, other Data Scientists, MLOps Engineers, ML Engineers, and Data Engineers to evaluate, implement, and deploy to production enterprise-grade Machine Learning and Deep Learning models
- A master's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or related fields
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or related fields is preferred
- Working in an academic AI research lab is a plus
- Academic publications on Deep Learning, Machine Learning or Operations Research is a plus
- 5+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist
- 5+ years of experience with Python programming language
- 3+ years of experience with scalable production grade Data Science (e.g. lifecycle management, experimentation management, model telemetry, and registry)
- 3+ years of experience with Scikit-Learn, Pandas, Seaborn, Numpy, Scipy, LightGBM, AdaBoost, CatBoost, and XGBoost
- 2+ years of experience with Keras, Tensorflow and Pytorch for Deep Learning
- Experience with Big Data, Lambda Architectures (Batch & Stream processing) and visualization
- Experience of working in banks and financial institutions (FinTech experience is a plus)
- Experience with Scala programming language is a plus
- Experience with Apache Kafka for Event Streaming (Confluent platform knowledge is a plus)
- Experience with Apache Spark (Databricks platform knowledge is a plus)
- Knowledge of ML Engineering and MLOps
- Knowledge of Graph databases (JanusGraph, Apache TinkerPop or Gremlin)
- Experience with agile processes and Software Engineering best practices
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, coordination and consensus building skills
- Strong communication, documentation, storytelling, creativity, and presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to perform under pressure and to manage multiple priorities with competing demands
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At BDC, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.