At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As a Data Engineer at IBM, you will help transform our clients’ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether it’s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
- Work in a role where no two days are the same
- Collaborate with stakeholders of all levels
- Permanent position, based in Perth (Fly-in/Fly-out from another Australian city possible for initial period)
We are the trusted partner for Australia and New Zealand’s businesses and governments as they reinvent using cloud, AI and blockchain within a secure environment. Our clients succeed because of our world-leading researchers, engineers and designers and our deep industry expertise. We celebrate our diversity and unite in our passion for IBM. We are #anewIBMWhat will I be doing?
The role requires expanding and optimising client’s data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimising data flows and collection for cross functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimising data systems and building them from the ground up. The Big Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on client projects and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimising or re-designing our clients’ data architecture to support the next generation of products and data initiatives.
What experience do I need?
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
- Recommend and implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Identify opportunities for a data architecture that is in place supports the requirements of the data scientists and the stakeholders, the business.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights to meet client key business performance metrics.
- Work with IBM and client stakeholders including the Project Managers, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Sr. Data Engineer role.
- Develops applications on Big Data and Cognitive technologies including API/Microservices development
- Expected to have traditional Application Development background along with knowledge of Analytics libraries, open-source Natural Language Processing, statistical and big data computing libraries.
- Strong technical abilities to understand, design, write, debug complex code and performing code reviews.
- Strong experience in DevOps, DataOps and CloudOps.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Programming experience and skills include SQL, Python, Scala, Java, Golang etc.
- API/Microservices development is a bonus e.g. nodeJs.
- Strong experience building and optimising cloud based ‘big data’ pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic and data wrangling skills related to working with structured as well as unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable cloud based ‘big data’ data stores. Includes Kafka, Spark, AWS/Azure native services etc.
- Experience leading, supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Preference for experience in Natural Resources.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business UnitIBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBMWhat matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Location StatementFor additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.