This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we're also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren't heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We've designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that's embraced.
What you'll do
The Data Engineer III works at the forefront of advanced technology, solves complex data challenges, and builds fast, efficient, and tractable data infrastructure to deliver real value for our clients. Data yields pivotal insights and adds value when gathered from disparate sources, properly organized, and prepared for data science and advanced analytics. As a Data Engineer III, you will develop and deploy pipelines and platforms that make these data meaningful and fit for purpose. You will also have the chance to help grow Ad Hoc's capabilities while working within a multi-disciplinary team of data analysts, data engineers, data scientists, developers, and data consumers in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Shipping software that impacts the lives of millions of people.
- Using modern programming languages and frameworks to build scalable services that gracefully integrate with legacy systems.
- Working with our own APIs and third-party APIs to build amazing, effective digital services.
- Using unit and integration testing to ensure systems work as intended.
- Helping us continuously, iteratively improve.
What we hope you'll bring
- Working both independently and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team of data analysts, data engineers, data scientists, developers, and data consumers to create and deploy dynamic data applications that help our customers make meaningful business decisions.
- Designing, creating, and provisioning data stores.
- Developing and deploying robust data pipelines and end-to-end systems.
- Wrangling and fusing large and disparate data sets, assisting in the deployment of models and algorithms, and automating data pipelines.
- Estimating and completing data engineering tasks including coding, requirements gathering, and analysis with little feedback and guidance.
- Developing tests, monitoring/instrumentation, analytics, and deployment pipeline changes as appropriate for the given task.
- Debugging, optimizing, maintaining, and monitoring their work in both test and production environments.
- Writing code that is generally error-free, tested thoroughly, and does not introduce additional unnecessary complexity.
- Suggesting, developing, and maintaining technical documentation (including design specifications, guides, and diagrams).
- Participating in on-call rotations with their team as necessary.
- Practicing technical and communications skills and improving context knowledge around surrounding areas.
- Participating in planning sessions, and building understanding of major architectures and design patterns.
- Assessing and diagnosing issues with the systems they own, prioritizing problem areas based on alignment with other practice areas.
- Suggesting and gathering requirements for data engineering process improvements.
- Creating Pull Requests appropriately scoped to features and tickets, isolated from other work, and easily reviewed.
- Conducting code reviews demonstrating understanding of technical trade-offs and interactions with dependencies in the system.
- Presenting on and writing about their work to both internal and external parties.
- Supporting recruiting efforts by evaluating homework assignments and potentially assisting with interviews.
- Ensuring that all systems operate smoothly and, in coordination with QA Manager, align with ISO and CMMI quality standards.
More than that, our ideal candidate wants to contribute to work that is bigger than themselves and wants to make a difference collaborating with their team. They care deeply about building better products, better relationships, and better trust in each interaction people have with their government. They believe in intuitive, easy-to-use government services. They collaborate well with designers, stakeholders, and other teams. They mentor and guide more junior engineers. They're human-centered.
And if you don't check every box on the list? That doesn't mean you can't help us in our mission to deliver critical government services. Talk to us!
Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance.
- 4+ years experience developing consumer-facing web applications, services, and APIs
- 1+ years experience with MuleSoft
- Experience with relational databases, automated testing, API development, and version control systems
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to troubleshoot and ask questions
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute.
- Our technical screening involves completing a homework assignment that is then graded blind to remove bias. We do not do tricky, unreliable whiteboarding tests.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $101,570 - $136,994 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.