Travel Required: None
Public Trust: NACI (T1)
Requisition Type: Regular
General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT) a leading provider of systems engineering, integration, IT service operations and support solutions, is seeking talented professionals to deliver valuable services and solutions to our customers. GDIT has a great team consisting of experienced and knowledgeable managers who lead and support the career development objectives of our employees. Our employees consider the company to be a solid partner in their career, with an abundance of opportunities for advancement.
GDIT is seeking a Geospatial Data Engineer to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA's) National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) in Stennis, MS
This position is for a team member supporting the NCEI Center for Coast, Oceans and Geophysics. The employee will work on and coordinate with scientists, engineers, developers and analysts on a variety of projects to archive and document environmental data following NOAA procedural directives and Federal data standards. The team member will develop, maintain, and enhance applications across multiple data center locations in accordance with NCEI and NOAA processes and agile best practices. This position will implement and administer GIS solutions that leverage the ArcGIS Enterprise platform.
- Is suited for an experienced professional capable of working with team members and stakeholders in various geographical locations.
- Requires attention to detail and following established processes to plan and support various projects.
- Requires understanding of technical tools and system architecture across various platforms.
- Requires the ability to translate and communicate project requirements to developers and operators.
- Requires a professional degree in computer science, systems engineering, computer engineering or a similar field
- Will become familiar with the emerging NESDIS cloud services.
- Occasionally travel to related conferences and meetings. (less than 10% travel)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Analytics, or Math
- Experience in application development, preferably in scientific software development
- Proficient with data management tools, such as Python, SQL, Java, HTML and use of Git
- Proficiency in obtaining, compiling and assessing geospatial data sets to support requirements.
- Adept at analyzing data, including geospatial analysis, to convey meaningful information.
- Experience building web GIS solutions that leverage ESRI platforms
- Proficiency in creating, updating, and managing geospatial information system databases and products.
- Understanding of the ESRI technology stack including ArcGIS Server, Portal and ArcGIS Online
- Experience working in Linux and Windows Environments
- Familiarity with relational databases, particularly Oracle
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite and Google G-Suite
- Solid experience in the design and implementation of application stacks
- Experience with RESTful web services and protocols
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Familiarity with version control systems in a team environment
- Familiarity with continuous deployment concepts & tools (e.g. 3-tier deployment architecture, Jenkins), software development life cycle
- Skills collaborating with other teams and outside partners
- Experience providing expertise and customer service to stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, proactive and able to multitask with little to no supervision.
- Ability to achieve target goals on a set deadline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on federal contracts in the USA.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter a government facility.
- Familiarity with the NOAA observing systems, programs and data
- Familiarity with scientific data and documentation file formats, such as NetCDF, HDF, TIFF, and PDF/A, as well as generic data file formats like CSV, XML and JSON.
- Familiarity with key science concepts in meteorology, climatology, geophysics and/or oceanography
- Experience building mobile GIS solutions that leverage ESRI platforms
- Knowledge of cloud principles and concepts
- Proficiency in metadata standards, metadata generation and management
- Experience working with Jira, Portfolio for Jira and Confluence
- Understanding of records and information management.
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.