Winnipeg Police ServiceDesignated Work Location:
245 Smith StreetPosition Type:
Member hired prior to April 6, 2014: $3,244.86 to $4,270.02 bi-weekly. Members hired after April 6, 2014: $2,884.67 to $3,796.03 bi-weekly. Posting No:
123938 Closing Date:
Friday, December 1st, 2023
Providing a wide range of services to over half of all Manitobans, The City of Winnipeg is one of the largest employers in Manitoba. We provide a comprehensive range of benefits and career opportunities to our employees. These include competitive salaries, employer-paid benefits, dental and vision care, pension plans, and maternity/parental leave programs. Additionally, we offer education, training, and staff development opportunities to ensure that our employees are equipped with the necessary skills to advance in their careers.
Our Benefits web page provides detailed information about the benefits we offer, and we encourage you to visit it for further information at City of Winnipeg Benefits . We take pride in fostering a , diverse , safe, and healthy workplace where our employees can thrive and achieve their full potential.
The City is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse skilled workforce that is representative and reflective of the community we serve. Applications are encouraged from equity groups that have been and continue to be underrepresented at the City; Indigenous Peoples, Women, Racialized Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQQIA+ Peoples and Newcomers are encouraged to self-declare.
Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.
Preference to internal applicants may be applied. Job Profile
Under the general direction of the Sergeant, Business Intelligence Unit/Research & Development Unit, the Data Analyst is responsible for large scale and/or targeted quantitative and qualitative statistical analysis, policy/procedure analysis and writing and drafting various organizational publications.
The Data Analyst derives actionable insights from evaluating legislation, policy and procedures and various data sets including performance, operational and financial, to identify trends, operational improvements and efficiencies.
The Data Analyst works in collaboration with other Divisions throughout the WPS to develop, aggregate, and maintain data sources, policy and procedures; develop, integrate, and support the use of ideal visualization techniques to support evidence based senior leader decision making.As The Data Analyst You Will
Your Education And Qualifications Include
- Provide Service wide analysis and reporting regarding various performance measure data and policy and procedure analysis
- Lead the development, implementation, and integration of current and new policy and data sources, software applications and reporting mediums
- Provide policy and organizational management related data and analysis for divisional requirements
- Research best practices and keep up to date on policy development, new technologies and data initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate Degree, major in Criminology or Sociology preferred (must include research methodology, and/or statistics)
- A Master’s Degree in Criminology or Sociology, is considered an asset
- Courses in business communications, an asset
- Certificate in project management, an asset
- 36 months relevant experience in one or more of the following:
- Statistical and data analysis utilizing various software and data visualization techniques
- Drafting written documents/recommendations demonstrating analysis policy/standards/legislation for a variety of topics and audiences
- Intermediate level proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Excel and Word) and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, In Design and Photoshop)
- Demonstrated ability in selecting, integrating, analyzing and visualizing data
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into accurate easily read formats
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, ability to deliver professional presentations
- Demonstrated experience in wide variety of writing formats such as annul reports, policy statements, procedures, briefing notes, executive summaries etc.
- Ability to create and maintain complex paper and electronic record/filing systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external stakeholders, ability to work in a formal and informal team environment, ability to gain buy-in and collaborate with subject matter experts and stakeholders
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and protect sensitive information
- Ability to work independently with competing priorities under minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a positive, respectful, safe and healthy work environment that supports the physical, psychological and social working relationships with members at all levels in a team environment
- IMPORTANT: Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have education which is comparable to the minimum qualification in Canada. Applicants submitting foreign credentials require an official academic assessment report issued by a recognized Canadian assessment service https://www.canalliance.org/en/ at application.
Conditions Of Employment
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minimum 18 years of age
- No involvement in any criminal activity within the last two years (including illegal drugs)
- No criminal record for which a Pardon has not been granted
Winnipeg Police Service Competencies
- Ability to pass a level 3 Winnipeg Police Service security check and maintain clearance
- Ability to successfully complete additional training as defined by the Service
How To Apply
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Functional / Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Priority Setting
- Written Communication
, including all documentation listed below:
- Current Resume - Clearly identifying how you meet the minimum required education/qualifications above (Required)
- Undergraduate Degree in Criminology or Sociology preferred – provide copy of Diploma, Final Transcripts (must indicate graduated), or Foreign Credential Academic Assessment (Required)
- Master's Degree in Criminology or Sociology - provide copy of Diploma, Final Transcripts (must indicate graduated), or Foreign Credential Academic Assessment (Required if applicable)
- Infographic: Provide a complex infographic you created. An infographic is a representation of information in a graphic format designed to make the data or information easily understandable at a glance. (Required)
- Write no more than a paragraph about your attached infographic addressing the following:
- Tools Used
- Intended Audience
- Purpose and Representation
- A screenshot is acceptable if confidentiality precludes disclosure
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency - provide copy of one of the following documents: Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Certificate or Card, Secure Certificate of Indian Status (Secure Status Card) OR Record of Landing (Landing Papers), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), Permanent Resident (PR) Card (Required)
- Please attach copies of any completed post-secondary education as part of the application submission. Applicants submitting foreign credentials require an official academic assessment report issues by a recognized Canadian assessment service.
- Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
- Your application documents must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of the position.*
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/ . For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311.Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 08:00 - 16:00
Employee Group: Winnipeg Police Association (WPA)
Position Reports To: Sergeant
Only candidates selected to proceed in the process will be contacted.
- First consideration will be given to qualified employees of the Winnipeg Police Service
- Applicants will be required to undergo testing to determine their knowledge, abilities and skills as they relate to the qualifications of the position