Spotahome is an international online marketplace which offers verified rental accommodation across 100 European cities in 27 countries and with a global ambition. Spotahome began as a start-up created in 2014 by 4 friends with a vision to revolutionise the traditional real estate space starting with digitalising rentals.
At Spotahome we make renting easy by allowing people to book completely online from wherever they are in the world, with the knowledge that the property they are booking is real and accurate. We are the only ones sending Homecheckers to make videos, floorplans, and photos to the almost 100,000 properties across Europe.
So far we've helped over 150,000 renters find their perfect home – no more traditional viewings, no more time-wasting, just easy online renting!
We are backed by some of the most highly reputed international investors from Silicon Valley, the UK, and Spain; having raised €80+ Million to date.
- Full remote flexibility and flexible work schedule, we trust our team and we are goal oriented
- Competitive salary in accordance with candidate experience and Stock Options of one of the most promising and best funded start-ups in Europe
- A challenging and creative job in an innovative, constantly growing, fast-moving and owner-managed company with many opportunities for growth
- An open corporate culture with plenty of room for new ideas and impulses
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- International work environment with more than 20 nationalities
- Training budget, company events and team building activities.
- Optional Health insurance and Gympass under co-payment, to support your health and wellbeing
- No politics or bureaucracy. Only a great environment for you to achieve your best work :-)
The Data Scientist position
Spotahome, as a double-sided marketplace, is a hard business to understand. As any marketplace, matching supply with demand and understanding how each customer segment behave is key. But if that wasn't enough challenge from a data standpoint, here are some particularities of Spotahome's marketplace that make it unique:
- Supply to rent in good conditions is a scarce resource, so immediacy is key, as opposed to ecommerce or service marketplaces where usually, there's less (or little) scarcity on the supply side.
- We can only sell (rent) our supply units once per unit of time. If we rent a home for 6 months, we won't be able to rent that home again within those 6 months, and thus, every purchase diminished our marketplace value for future users.
- The tenant purchase decision is quite intricate! We are renting homes 100% online, paying the first month of rent in advance. The model works (more than 150.000 users have already taken the leap!), but this purchase decision is quite tasking in the customer's mind! Tough (and long) decision and a high ticket to pay upfront
As a data scientist in Spotahome, you will be helping our customers and ourselves navigate this hard problem by extracting insights from data and developing machine learning models to obtain and scale those insights. Data is a first-class citizen at Spotahome, and we need help making sense of it. Will you be up for the challenge?
What would you be doing as a Senior Data Scientist?
- Defining and building the best approach for advanced data models.
- Identifying and proposing new areas and data models to be performed with a clear impact, both on customers and the company.
- Planning the model deployment phase together with Engineering.
- Data gathering, cleaning and wrangling.
- Ownership of large dashboards, tools, data models and algorithms.
- Answer customer and business questions through data analysis: Scoping and conducting complex analysis, breaking tasks down into shorter phases and publishing early and often.
- Understanding the business side and the main implications of the work that is being done.
- Working hand-by-hand with other areas across initiatives. Stakeholder communication and data storytelling.
- Coaching and training the organization on data mindset.
- Actively mentoring and coaching other team members on your skills.
What are we looking for?
- Degree in statistics, computer science, mathematics, science, engineering or similar quantitative discipline.
- 2 to 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following in an applied business setting: advanced statistical techniques for A/B testing, methods for experimental design, observational causal inference, or quasi-experimental analysis
- Experience with data analysis tools (SQL, Google Analytics, BQ...) and statistical packages (Python preferrably).
- High attention to detail and ability to effectively manage multiple projects at a time with focus on meeting deadlines.
- Ability to self-learn new techniques when needed to solve problems.
- Have a hands-on and positive attitude.
- The mindset to above and beyond what is expected to be done.
- Good communication skills and fluency in English.
It would be great if you also have
- Experience in NoSQL databases.
- Previous startup environment experience.
- Courses in relevant fields (i.e. Big Data, Machine Learning or Visualisation tools).
Join the Spotahome family
At Spotahome we have a friendly open collaborative culture and a united team vision. All of our #Spotters have the ability to make a big impact (we love entrepreneurial/risk taking/high ambition mindsets). Our work is rewarding and we help each other win by creating a supportive and collaborative environment for one another. Take a look at our opening and send us your application - we look forward to hearing from you!
Eager to know more?
You will be joining a small but brave data and analytics team within Spotahome, where you'll share your time with like-minded engineers: Bi Engineers, Data Engineers and Data scientists, owning a cool data stack (more on that below). We expect you to bring a solid skillset as a data scientist (something that we are somewhat lacking at this stage), so we expect to learn a lot from you. But of course, in turn, we will try to help you learn in other areas where we are very proficient, like data engineering and BI. And together, we expect to continue seeking and finding the keys to creating value for our customers, Tenants and Landlords, within such a complex marketplace.
The data stack
Spotahome has a simple but powerful Data Stack that allows engineers and scientists to have access to raw and transformed data at any time. It is composed by:
- A data pipeline that moves data from our transactional databases and our analytical systems (Segment, Amplitude, Google Analytics) to a data lake in BigQuery
- A set of python ETLs that transform that data and load it into our Postgres Data Warehouse.
- A shared development environment using python + jupyter notebooks that allows easy access to our data sources and enables collaboration and reproducible research
- Self-service dashboarding tools to access this data: PowerBI and Metabase
- A dbt (data build tool)-based pipeline to transform the Data Lake data into a feature store for statistical and machine learning models.
- A set of statistical and Machine Learning models trained and executed against this feature store (mostly written in Python).
- A Python-based REST API so other systems can consume the output of these models.
Here at Spotahome we're passionate about creating an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. Everyone is welcome, we don't discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic including race, religion or belief, gender or gender reassignment, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability. We want to facilitate everyone in bringing their best selves to our interviews, so if there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please let us know.