We are the world´s largest language learning community with over 100m users from 190 countries, growing at up to 30,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers. Our mission is to break down language barriers across the globe.If you want to join a dynamic team with different profiles and help us to grow and try to convert Busuu to a data-driven company this is your team.
Join our dynamic Busuu team and help us to grow and try to convert Busuu to a data-driven company this is your team.
We use a wide range of technologies, including but not limited to AWS, Kinesis, Lambda, Redshift, Firehose, Python, dbt, Docker, Vagrant, nginx, Ruby, etc. But we’re constantly evolving and open to change and the best tool for the job if we see the right fit.
Busuu is a leader in data-driven language learning and the success of all our teams is founded on easy access to real-time, actionable data in a format that is easy to query for everyone, not just technical people. We’ve worked hard to build a scalable platform that delivers this for us, and we want to continue to grow and add to this to support a large number of users we’re adding every day, and the features we’re releasing constantly.
You’ll be responsible for the whole platform, from performance and monitoring to security and everything in between. You’ll be at the heart of building and maintaining the technical infrastructure we rely on every day, getting the opportunity to architect an infrastructure that already serves 70 million users and growing at 25k users a day.
You’ll have the chance to make the tough decisions that we need to make to take us to the next level, choosing the right tools for the job and leading projects to solve real problems for both our users and engineers. We like to ship fast, often, and safely, and our engineers are shipping code daily.
What we’re looking for from a Data Engineer at Busuu
- Design and thinking about data architecture to improve the performance of modern data warehouse (Like Redshift, BQ or Snowflake).
- Experience working with complex SQL, improving the performance of those in case that it is necessary (joins, over, nest, lags, etc).
- Python coding experience creating ETLs and working with Pandas, Numpy.
- Knowledge on Cloud (it doesn't matter if it is AWS or GCP), better on AWS because is our actual stack.
- Experience working with Google Analytics and managing different kinds of stakeholders, like Marketing, Finance or other business squads.
- Experience working with data science teams and providing architectures to his needs in function of the use case.
Being a part of Busuu - How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
- The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
- Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme
- We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Full Stack Engineer is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible.
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role.
- Data Cultural Interview - Cultural data call with the Engineering Manager of Data.
- Data Technical Interview - Technical interview with out Data Engineering Team.
- Data Home Test Task Review - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time.
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.