LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Can a 150-year-old company think outside the box? Count on it. Deep experience is our springboard for innovation, whether that’s in how we work with our broker network, how we serve our customers, or how we support our employees.
Economical is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
As a Machine Learning Engineer Lead reporting to the Manager, Advanced Analytics, you will be responsible for leading a team to support the complex technical needs of deploying analytical models into production, and provide support for the management of predictive models throughout the modelling lifecycle, ensuring we are able to sustain the benefits of analytical models deployed within the organization.
Role Location: Hybrid
What can you expect in this role?
- Apply professional experience to effectively lead team members through technical project work, and effectively coach and develop team members
- Design and test end-to-end solutions to enable analytical model deployment (real-time, and batch) in collaboration with Advanced Analytics and IT professionals
- Support management of predictive models throughout the modelling lifecycle
- Continually focus on innovation and process improvement to promote leading practice and efficiency across the organization
- Effectively lead and mentor junior team members through technical project work
What do you bring to the role?
- University degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline
- Leadership experience (formal or informal)
- 5+ years’ experience in developing and implementing analytics solutions
- Excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills
- Ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems
- Expertise in software engineering best practices, including developing and testing sustainable, modular code pipelines
- Strong understanding of efficient model deployment using REST APIs
- Significant experience with modern programming languages (e.g., R, Python, Scala)
- Working knowledge of building and deploying machine learning solutions using Cloud technologies
- Knowledge of predictive modelling and machine learning principles
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).